From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Ada GUI for Windows and Linux
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 01:40:25 GMT
Date: 2002-09-12T01:40:25+00:00	[thread overview]

Frank J. Lhota wrote:
> We need to be careful as to how to approach this, however, for our client
> has also expressed an interest in porting this program to Linux. It would
> therefore be foolish to implement the GUI stuff in a highly Win32-specific
> fashion.
> The GtkAda library does provide a GUI interface for both Windows and Linux,
> and would allow us to code the GUI for both OS's. The only problem is that
> AFAIK there is not an ObjectAda version of GtkAda, so we would have to
> rehost a lot of code to GNAT, as well as requiring that some fellow

It might be much easier to rehost GtkAda to ObjectAda (or at least the
functions in GtkAda that you need). That's certianly the approach I'd
look at first, were it me.

> The XML / GUI solution sounds great, but we need a solution that exists now.

If that looks great to you, then you may want to consider embedding
Gekko into your app. If you can do that successfully, you should be able
to develop the GUI in XUL
(http://www.mozilla.org/catalog/architecture/xul/ ), and it will be
portable to any OS that Mozilla supports. Another good site to visit to
look at this stuff is http://www.xulplanet.com