* Java falling short of mobile promise?
@ 2002-09-03 17:54 Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2002-09-03 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Surprise, surprise!

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-956298.html

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau

* Re: Java falling short of mobile promise?
@ 2002-09-03 18:11 ` Darren New
From: Darren New @ 2002-09-03 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Groleau wrote:

> Surprise, surprise!
>
> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-956298.html

Java is actually better than Ada for this situation, methinks. The problem
is not programming, but economics. The Java standards for phone games let
you find out all the capabilities of the phone. It's just hard to design
games (in any language) that look good both in B&W text and in 24-bit color
bitmaps. Ada wouldn't change that fact.

--
Darren New
   ** http://images.fbrtech.com/dnew/ **

Try our EbolaBurgers...
      So tender they melt in your mouth.

* Re: Java falling short of mobile promise?
@ 2002-09-03 19:35   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-09-03 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3D74FBBC.775FE24B@san.rr.com>, Darren New <dnew@san.rr.com> writes:
> Wes Groleau wrote:
>>
>> Surprise, surprise!
>>
>> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-956298.html
>
> Java is actually better than Ada for this situation, methinks. The problem
> is not programming, but economics. The Java standards for phone games let
> you find out all the capabilities of the phone. It's just hard to design
> games (in any language) that look good both in B&W text and in 24-bit color
> bitmaps. Ada wouldn't change that fact.

I don't think Wes implied that Ada would be better.

My understanding of the reasoning for the post was:

	Be careful of what you deliver, someone might demand delivery.

* Re: Java falling short of mobile promise?
@ 2002-09-03 20:41     ` Darren New
From: Darren New @ 2002-09-03 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:
> I don't think Wes implied that Ada would be better.

OK. My assumption was that it was a gloat, considering it was posted to
comp.lang.ada. :-)

> My understanding of the reasoning for the post was:
>         Be careful of what you deliver, someone might demand delivery.

Something like that, too. :-)

--

@ 2002-09-04  5:52   ` Robert C. Leif
From: Robert C. Leif @ 2002-09-04  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

That is why, one should use vector graphics. The XML SVG is a good place
to start.
Bob Leif

@ 2002-09-04  7:24     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2002-09-04  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert C. Leif" <rleif@rleif.com> writes:

> That is why, one should use vector graphics. The XML SVG is a good
> place to start.

In extremely low resolutions, vector graphics cannot reach the quality
of hand-tuned bitmap images.

* Re: Java falling short of mobile promise?
@ 2002-09-04 17:30     ` Darren New
From: Darren New @ 2002-09-04 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert C. Leif" wrote:
> That is why, one should use vector graphics.

Nothing stops you from using vector graphics on the phones. It's just that
nobody has published a library that will rasterize the vector graphics for
you that will run on a variety of phones.

And it remains the case that the problem isn't with the technology, but with
the design of the games. No matter what quality of printing press you use or
what graphics library, "DOOM: The Board Game" isn't going to have the same
play style as Id's version.  Vector graphics isn't going to help at all if
your screen is 4 lines or 20-character text.

And remember we're talking about cell phones. They don't really have the
kinds of memory you might expect out of a desktop system.