* GNAT question
@ 2002-08-11 22:59 Fred Stihler
From: Fred Stihler @ 2002-08-11 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Im starting to learn Ada, I dont know how to configure the compiler to
work the way I want. Does anybody knows how do I do to be able
generate apps that output special characters? I tried to compile a
simple program that prints "Al� Mundo" but when I run it, the
character � doesnt appear. It prints a strange character. what must I
do?

* Re: GNAT question
@ 2002-08-12  2:56 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-08-12  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

lab.stihler@unidavi.edu.br (Fred Stihler) wrote in message news:<c5dec41e.0208111459.40b26938@posting.google.com>...
> Im starting to learn Ada, I dont know how to configure the compiler to
> work the way I want. Does anybody knows how do I do to be able
> generate apps that output special characters? I tried to compile a
> simple program that prints "Al� Mundo" but when I run it, the
> character � doesnt appear. It prints a strange character. what must I
> do?

The first thing you must do is learn how to ask questions
on the newsgroup properly. Start a new thread with a proper
subject, don't append a reply to a completely irrelevant
thread about how to write OS level stuff using GNAT.

The second thing you must do is to say exactly what system
you are using, both the machine and operating system and
compiler.

The third thing is you should read the documentation. For
instance if you are on a PC using GNAT, you need to read
what the users manual has to say about character sets in
this environment.

* Re: GNAT question
@ 2002-08-12  4:37 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-08-12  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> simple program that prints "Al� Mundo" but when I run it, the
> character � doesnt appear. It prints a strange character.
  Are you saying that your source file contains a string containing
a hex F4, but when you print that you get something other than F4?

* Google error?, was Re: GNAT question
@ 2002-08-12  4:37   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-08-12  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> on the newsgroup properly. Start a new thread with a proper
> subject, don't append a reply to a completely irrelevant
  I note that Google Groups shows the OP as a followup on a
thread from last March, but the actual header of his posting
does not contain any References line, suggesting that it was
not an appended reply at all.  Does Google show threads as
connected by using References, or merely by looking for the
same subject line wording?  If the latter, the complaint should
go to Google, not to the poster of the question.

* Re: GNAT question
@ 2002-08-12 12:33   ` Fred Stihler
From: Fred Stihler @ 2002-08-12 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The first thing you must do is learn how to ask questions
> on the newsgroup properly. Start a new thread with a proper
> subject, don't append a reply to a completely irrelevant
> thread about how to write OS level stuff using GNAT.
hey sorry, I didnt see that there was a thread with this name. I didnt
know that I must first search for thread names before posting a
thread.

thank you

* Re: GNAT question
@ 2002-08-12 12:37   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-08-12 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote in message news:<nYG59.4229$5%1.157129951@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...
>   Are you saying that your source file contains a string
> containing a hex F4, but when you print that you get
> something other than F4?

No, of course he is not saying this! The issue is most
likely a code page issue on the PC, but how can we tell
since we do not have the information we need.

* Re: Google error?, was Re: GNAT question
@ 2002-08-12 12:39     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-08-12 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote in message news:<nYG59.4230$5%1.157129951@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...

This may possibly be a Google error, but in any case
it is really silly to post a thread with such a silly
subject line. A proper subject line on this would be
something like

"query on accented character display with GNAT"

or somesuch. Far too many threads in CLA have very
poorly chosen subjects!

* Re: Google error?, was Re: GNAT question
@ 2002-08-12 13:52     ` Mark Johnson
From: Mark Johnson @ 2002-08-12 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:

> > on the newsgroup properly. Start a new thread with a proper
> > subject, don't append a reply to a completely irrelevant
>   I note that Google Groups shows the OP as a followup on a
> thread from last March, but the actual header of his posting
> does not contain any References line, suggesting that it was
> not an appended reply at all.  Does Google show threads as
> connected by using References, or merely by looking for the
> same subject line wording?  If the latter, the complaint should
> go to Google, not to the poster of the question.

The "google problem" with references has been mentioned on several other
newsgroups that I read. As a search engine, it appears to be a "little"
overzealous about making connections between threads since some broken
news readers don't put the proper references lines in responses.

On the point of the subject however, I tend to agree with Robert - the
original query should attempt to use a more specific subject than "GNAT
question" and provide some information about the system, and environment
he is running in. For all I know, the terminal settings used by the OP
suppress eight bit characters (and thus introduce the "garbage").

  --Mark

* Re: Google error?, was Re: GNAT question
@ 2002-08-12 18:35       ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-08-12 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > not an appended reply at all.  Does Google show threads as
> > connected by using References, or merely by looking for the
> > same subject line wording?  If the latter, the complaint should
> > go to Google, not to the poster of the question.
>
> The "google problem" with references has been mentioned on several other
  When I posted a message with a mofified subject line (Re:  Google
error...) Google started a new thread - despite the fact my message had a
References specifically saying it was in response to, and thus in the
thread of, "Re:  GNAT question".  So Google apparently does ignore
"References", so its newsreader is broken, and the original poster's only
mistake was to use an overly general Subject line, which happened to have
also been used by a thread last March.
  My Netscape newsreader threads correctly.  OTOH, its display of
subject lines shows only about the first 30 characters, so
"query on accented character display with GNAT" would show up as
"query on accented character..", a somewhat inaccurate statement
of the question being asked.

* Re: GNAT question
@ 2002-08-12 18:35   ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 2002-08-12 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > simple program that prints "Al� Mundo" but when I run it, the
> > character � doesnt appear. It prints a strange character.
>   Are you saying that your source file contains a string containing
> a hex F4, but when you print that you get something other than F4?
  I notice that hex F4 appears differently when displayed in text mode
(eg: type f.txt) or in Windows mode, for instance using Notepad.  Did
you perhaps enter a character that looks right, via a graphics mode
editor, and then look at the result by running the program in text/command
line mode?  What happens if you pipe the output to a file, then look at
that file with your editor?

* Re: Google error?, was Re: GNAT question
@ 2002-08-12 18:42         ` Darren New
From: Darren New @ 2002-08-12 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
>   My Netscape newsreader threads correctly.  OTOH, its display of
> subject lines shows only about the first 30 characters, so

So grab the right edge of the bar that says "subject" and drag it to the
right. Viola, problem solved.

--
Darren New
   ** http://images.fbrtech.com/dnew/ **

They looked up at me like I was a T-bone steak
  walking into an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet.

* Re: GNAT question
@ 2002-08-12 23:48     ` Fred Stihler
From: Fred Stihler @ 2002-08-12 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote in message news:<5ee5b646.0208120437.1ee3de4@posting.google.com>...
> tmoran@acm.org wrote in message news:<nYG59.4229$5%1.157129951@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...
> >   Are you saying that your source file contains a string
> > containing a hex F4, but when you print that you get
> > something other than F4?
>

> No, of course he is not saying this! The issue is most
> likely a code page issue on the PC, but how can we tell
> since we do not have the information we need.
yes, its about code page. Im running win98, configured to display
portuguese specific characters. I dont know where do I look for
documentation about such configurations. Im running gnat 3.14p. I have
an old turbo pascal 7 compiler and its able to display these
characters just fine. I dont know, maybe my compiler needs a patch, or
something.

* Re: GNAT question
@ 2002-08-12 23:51     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-08-12 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@acm.org wrote in message news:<feT59.1623$4P6.69518450@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>...
> I notice that hex F4 appears differently when displayed
> in text mode
> (eg: type f.txt) or in Windows mode

Well yes of course. The result of displaying the character
F4 of course depends on the code page or font used.