From: Mark Johnson <mark_h_johnson@raytheon.com>
Subject: Re: Google error?, was Re: GNAT question
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 08:52:48 -0500
Date: 2002-08-12T08:52:48-05:00	[thread overview]

tmoran@acm.org wrote:

> > on the newsgroup properly. Start a new thread with a proper
> > subject, don't append a reply to a completely irrelevant
>   I note that Google Groups shows the OP as a followup on a
> thread from last March, but the actual header of his posting
> does not contain any References line, suggesting that it was
> not an appended reply at all.  Does Google show threads as
> connected by using References, or merely by looking for the
> same subject line wording?  If the latter, the complaint should
> go to Google, not to the poster of the question.

The "google problem" with references has been mentioned on several other
newsgroups that I read. As a search engine, it appears to be a "little"
overzealous about making connections between threads since some broken
news readers don't put the proper references lines in responses.

On the point of the subject however, I tend to agree with Robert - the
original query should attempt to use a more specific subject than "GNAT
question" and provide some information about the system, and environment
he is running in. For all I know, the terminal settings used by the OP
suppress eight bit characters (and thus introduce the "garbage").

  --Mark