* Ada -> Java information flow
@ 2002-07-26 13:17 John M. Resler
From: John M. Resler @ 2002-07-26 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am new to Ada and am writing a mixed language application
in Ada and Java. The java application is the GUI front end and
the Ada application is an asis based application back end. I have
used pipes in C\C++ but don't know of an equivalent in Ada. Can
somebody point me in the correct direction? I'd appreciate it.

-John

* Re: Ada -> Java information flow
@ 2002-07-26 13:29 ` Dr. Michael Paus
From: Dr. Michael Paus @ 2002-07-26 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

John M. Resler wrote:
> I am new to Ada and am writing a mixed language application
> in Ada and Java. The java application is the GUI front end and
> the Ada application is an asis based application back end. I have
> used pipes in C\C++ but don't know of an equivalent in Ada. Can
> somebody point me in the correct direction? I'd appreciate it.
>
> -John

I have used the AdaSockets package and a Java DataStream successfully
for that purpose.

Greetings

Michael

* Re: Ada -> Java information flow
@ 2002-07-26 16:46 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-07-26 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"John M. Resler" <John-Resler@cox.net> writes:

> I am new to Ada and am writing a mixed language application
> in Ada and Java. The java application is the GUI front end and
> the Ada application is an asis based application back end. I have
> used pipes in C\C++ but don't know of an equivalent in Ada. Can
> somebody point me in the correct direction? I'd appreciate it.

When you "used pipes in C\C++", you actually use operating system
pipes, with a binding in C provided by the compiler or operating
system vendor. You can do the same in Ada, but you have to write the
binding yourself, or find one somewhere.

If you are on Windows, look in one of the several Windows bindings
(see www.adapower.com for a list) to see if they provide pipe
operations.

Writing the binding yourself is not all that hard. Give it a try and
come back for help!

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Ada -> Java information flow
@ 2002-07-26 21:25   ` David Marceau
From: David Marceau @ 2002-07-26 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:

> "John M. Resler" <John-Resler@cox.net> writes:
>
> > I am new to Ada and am writing a mixed language application
> > in Ada and Java. The java application is the GUI front end and
> > the Ada application is an asis based application back end. I have
> > used pipes in C\C++ but don't know of an equivalent in Ada. Can
> > somebody point me in the correct direction? I'd appreciate it.
>
> When you "used pipes in C\C++", you actually use operating system
> pipes, with a binding in C provided by the compiler or operating
> system vendor. You can do the same in Ada, but you have to write the
> binding yourself, or find one somewhere.
>
> If you are on Windows, look in one of the several Windows bindings
> (see www.adapower.com for a list) to see if they provide pipe
> operations.
>
> Writing the binding yourself is not all that hard. Give it a try and
> come back for help!
>
> --
> -- Stephe
Pardon me but are you aware of CAFE 1815:
http://www.acenet.com.au/~gbull/

It might help you with your ada to java bridge :)

Cheers,
David Marceau

* Re: Ada -> Java information flow
@ 2002-07-27 19:29   ` John M. Resler
From: John M. Resler @ 2002-07-27 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you,
	I'll look in that direction, I appreciate it!

-John

@ 2002-07-27 19:31   ` John M. Resler
From: John M. Resler @ 2002-07-27 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you,
	I'll take a look at it. I appreciate the guidance.

-John