From: Ryan Tarpine <rtarpine@hotmail.com>
Subject: Naming conventions
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:48:36 -0400
Date: 2002-07-24T21:48:36-04:00	[thread overview]

Coming from C++, what I used to think of as a class (a type and its
associated methods) is now roughly equivalent to a package.  Whenever I
try to name a package, I use what I normally think of as the type
itself.  For example, I would put a vector type in a package Vector or a
regular expression type in a package Regular_Expression.  However, once
I name the package, I am at a loss for what to call the data type inside.

I've been appending '_Type' to the package names, making names like
Vector_Type, but I don't think that is the Right Thing(TM).  I've been
skimming the style guides (which I heartily recommend all newbies to
do), and I've seen a little bit of calling the type simply Instance or
Object.  When used with the package name this looks nice, such as
Vector.Instance.  What do the Ada gurus normally do for this? :)

Don't worry I don't intend to spark any naming "religious wars" like
http://www.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/ifi/ps/ada-doc/style_guide/sec_3a.html#3.2.4

warns :)

Thank you,
Ryan

PS - For everyone new to Ada (like me), I will repeat that you
should check out the style guides!  See
http://www.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/ifi/ps/ada-doc/style_guide/cover.html

for the Ada95 one.  I also found "Ada95 Lessons Learned" at
http://www.magi.com/~wb/ada95.html but I haven't read it all yet.