* Re: source beautifier
@ 2002-07-19 23:14 ` jim hopper
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: jim hopper @ 2002-07-19 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html

adaguide is a windows ide, but it also contains a standalone tool
called reformat which does what you want.  if you get the adaguide
source which is windows sepecific, reformat part of the source should
compile on most platforms.

what platform are you interested in??  I am doing a gui for it for mac
OS X (all in ada using apples IDE and their gui generator which we have
tied togeather now).

jim

In article <pan.2002.07.19.22.28.29.58247.1183@gmx.net>, Jan Prazak
<janp9@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> does a source code beautifier exist for Ada?
> I have searched for it in Google and AdaPower, and found nothing.
>
> Jan

* Re: source beautifier
@ 2002-07-19 23:20 ` David Marceau
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Marceau @ 2002-07-19 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Prazak wrote:

> Hello,
>
> does a source code beautifier exist for Ada?
> I have searched for it in Google and AdaPower, and found nothing.
>
> Jan
These are the alternatives that I know you might want to try:
1)programmer's editor/emacs/vi/ghostscript
Have you tried opening your ada file within emacs, select all and then
indent-region(adjusts all the lines to be indented properly) ?
Have you tried printing from emacs?  From what I understand about source
code beautifiers, emacs/ghostscript have both color/black and white and
highlight keywords.  It also does n-up printing meaning printing more
than one source code page on one printed page.
I usually 2-up/both sides of a page when I can to save trees.

2)Use gnathtml
This produces a beautified html documentation of the source code along
with an index.
This also highlights keywords.
Then you print what you want from your web browser.

3)use adabrowse
This also produces a beautified html documentation of the source code
along with an index.
This one uses ASIS to produce it.
This also highlights keywords.
It does resemble the java documentation style because that was the
intent.
Then you print what you want from your web browser.

4)use raincode
It not only beautifies but also code-metrics'fies among other things
and combines the output of both in a well-organized html documentation
with an index.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
David Marceau

* source beautifier
@ 2002-07-19 23:28 Jan Prazak
From: Jan Prazak @ 2002-07-19 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-07-20 11:32 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-07-20 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Prazak <janp9@gmx.net> wrote in message news:<pan.2002.07.19.22.28.29.58247.1183@gmx.net>...
> Hello,
>
> does a source code beautifier exist for Ada?
> I have searched for it in Google and AdaPower, and found nothing.

There are several tools that perform this function. If you are a
GNAT Pro user, then you should have a look at gnatpp, the GNAT
Pro pretty printer, which is now available in a beta version to
GNAT Pro users.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: source beautifier
@ 2002-07-20 14:41   ` Jan Prazak
From: Jan Prazak @ 2002-07-20 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:20:33 -0100, David Marceau wrote:

> These are the alternatives that I know you might want to try:
> 1)programmer's editor/emacs/vi/ghostscript Have you tried opening your
> ada file within emacs, select all and then indent-region(adjusts all the
> lines to be indented properly) ?

Thanks, that's what I wanted.

> 2)Use gnathtml

Then I would have to convert it back to plain text.

> 4)use raincode
> It not only beautifies but also code-metrics'fies among other things and
> combines the output of both in a well-organized html documentation with
> an index.

As I have read here, it's only for Windows.

* Re: source beautifier
@ 2002-07-20 14:41   ` Jan Prazak
From: Jan Prazak @ 2002-07-20 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:14:21 -0100, jim hopper wrote:

> what platform are you interested in??  I am doing a gui for it for mac

Linux

But I think the emacs indent-region function is ok for my purposes (for
now), I didn't know that it exists. But as soon as there will be another
good IDE available, I will stop using emacs, because

1) it's just too big, and I use it only as an IDE for Ada
2) it seems to work incorrectly (the main font can't be changed)
(actually it can be done, but when I restart emacs, the font background
changes to its default value)

* Re: source beautifier
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-07-20 14:56 ` Jan Prazak
From: Jan Prazak @ 2002-07-20 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, now I have two source beautifiers, here are the links, for
those who are interested:

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada/swtools/reformat/
http://www.irvine.com/freebies.html  -- thanks to Dan Eilers

* Re: source beautifier
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-07-20 20:24 ` Britt Snodgrass
From: Britt Snodgrass @ 2002-07-20 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Prazak <janp9@gmx.net> wrote in message news:<pan.2002.07.19.22.28.29.58247.1183@gmx.net>...
> Hello,
>
> does a source code beautifier exist for Ada?
> I have searched for it in Google and AdaPower, and found nothing.
>
> Jan

Irvine Compuler Corporation provides their "ICC Ada95 Pretty Printer
(ICCFMT)" for free at http://www.irvine.com/freebies.html  It works
pretty well although I remember it puts line breaks in a few strange
places.

Britt

* Re: source beautifier
@ 2002-07-21 17:26   ` Jan Prazak
From: Jan Prazak @ 2002-07-21 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 19:24:18 -0100, Britt Snodgrass wrote:

> Irvine Compuler Corporation provides their "ICC Ada95 Pretty Printer
> (ICCFMT)" for free at http://www.irvine.com/freebies.html  It works

Unfortunately it doesn't work on my system (Linux). Bash writes "command
or file not found" (no, I'm not doing something wrong).

* Re: source beautifier
@ 2002-07-22  2:11     ` jim hopper
From: jim hopper @ 2002-07-22  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <pan.2002.07.20.13.37.03.923970.1135@gmx.net>, Jan Prazak
<janp9@gmx.net> wrote:

> > 4)use raincode
> > It not only beautifies but also code-metrics'fies among other things and
> > combines the output of both in a well-organized html documentation with
> > an index.
>
> As I have read here, it's only for Windows.

No what i ment by my post is the DEMO is only for windows.  the actual
product as i understand it is obfiscated source code that you can
compile for any platform.

also as to editors.  on linux i use nedit which does a decent job of
syntax coloring, and i then tied reformat to a command menu and it
would reformat and do indenting etc inplace in the window.  you can
also get it to do compiles and a lot of otherthings from inside the
editor like emacs does.  i am sure its not as good at it as emacs but
its a much nicer editor for those of us who want a mouse based editor
that doesnt force us to learn lots of key combinations to do things ;-)

best jim

* Re: source beautifier
@ 2002-07-22  2:15   ` jim hopper
From: jim hopper @ 2002-07-22  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

there are a number of fixes to reformat available if you get the source
from the adaguide link i sent earlier.  I was the one who extracted
reformat from adaguide and turned it into a tool i could use on about
any platform.   the older version has some subtle bugs that the new
source code fixes thanks to martin carlisle and his folks!  i have a
few fixes as well that i havent sent in yet so if it gives you problems
send me an email and i will send them to you.

best jim

@ 2002-07-22  9:25     ` Craig Thompson
From: Craig Thompson @ 2002-07-22  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Prazak wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 19:24:18 -0100, Britt Snodgrass wrote:
>
> > Irvine Compuler Corporation provides their "ICC Ada95 Pretty Printer
> > (ICCFMT)" for free at http://www.irvine.com/freebies.html  It works
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't work on my system (Linux). Bash writes "command
> or file not found" (no, I'm not doing something wrong).

Did you type "./command" ??

If not then bash will not recognise the command, using the explanation
line given.

* Re: source beautifier
@ 2002-07-22 21:45       ` Jan Prazak
From: Jan Prazak @ 2002-07-22 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 01:11:26 -0100, jim hopper wrote:

> also as to editors.  on linux i use nedit which does a decent job of
> syntax coloring, and i then tied reformat to a command menu and it would
> reformat and do indenting etc inplace in the window.  you can also get

Thanks, I will take a look at nedit.

* Re: source beautifier
@ 2002-07-22 22:12     ` Jan Prazak
From: Jan Prazak @ 2002-07-22 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 01:15:00 -0100, jim hopper wrote:

> there are a number of fixes to reformat available if you get the source
> from the adaguide link i sent earlier.  I was the one who extracted

The serves seems to be down.
http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html  -- no response
I tried it several times.

I have downloaded the reformat2 package from
http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada/swtools/reformat
isn't this the newest one?

* Re: source beautifier
@ 2002-07-23  1:43       ` jim hopper
From: jim hopper @ 2002-07-23  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

No i don't think so.  the latest stuff is in adaguide, i havent update
the reformat so i don't think anyone else has outside of adaguide.  try
it again later or do a google search on adaguide and martin carlisle.

best jim

In article <pan.2002.07.22.21.12.55.159791.1179@gmx.net>, Jan Prazak
<janp9@gmx.net> wrote:

> I have downloaded the reformat2 package from
> http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada/swtools/reformat
> isn't this the newest one?

* Re: source beautifier
@ 2002-08-11  0:11     ` Maarten Woxberg
From: Maarten Woxberg @ 2002-08-11  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 16:41:39 +0200, Jan Prazak wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:14:21 -0100, jim hopper wrote:
>
>> what platform are you interested in??  I am doing a gui for it for mac
>
> Linux
>
> But I think the emacs indent-region function is ok for my purposes (for
> now), I didn't know that it exists. But as soon as there will be another
> good IDE available, I will stop using emacs, because
>
> 1) it's just too big, and I use it only as an IDE for Ada 2) it seems to
> work incorrectly (the main font can't be changed) (actually it can be
> done, but when I restart emacs, the font background changes to its
> default value)

Change version of Emacs or/and check your .emacs file
usualy reached by doing ~/emacs .emacs &
from the commandline (in your home directory, thus the ~)
Holding Shift and Pressing Left mousebutton allows you to select font
and size from a menu. Although in most cases it changes back yes to the
default font.. but that's why you should look in the .emacs file.

/M�rten

* Re: source beautifier
@ 2002-08-12 20:21       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-08-12 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:14:21 -0100, jim hopper wrote:
> >
> >> what platform are you interested in??  I am doing a gui for it for mac
> >
> > Linux
> >
> > But I think the emacs indent-region function is ok for my purposes (for
> > now), I didn't know that it exists. But as soon as there will be another
> > good IDE available, I will stop using emacs, because
> >
> > 1) it's just too big,

Just out of curiosity, what measure are you using here? Megabytes of
disk space? Load time? keystrokes/functionality to learn?

> > and I use it only as an IDE for Ada

Well, it is very good for lots of other things. But some people prefer
other IDEs.

> > 2) it seems to work incorrectly (the main font can't be changed)
> > (actually it can be done, but when I restart emacs, the font
> > background changes to its default value)

You can set the font either on the command line, or in your .emacs.

Yes, that's one of the many things you have to learn about Emacs.

--
-- Stephe