From: achrist@easystreet.com
Subject: Re: Problem with Gnat.Dynamic_Tables
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:02:49 -0700
Date: 2002-07-12T16:02:49-07:00	[thread overview]

Mats Weber wrote:

> achrist@easystreet.com wrote in message news:<3D2F0A3D.8DEF335F@easystreet.com>...
>
> > [...] I see that it
> > works like a Map, which means, I suppose, that there is some search
> > involved in simply accessing an element of the array, but this is not a
> > noticeable problem, given all the other inefficiencies in my code, which
> > hardly add up to anything noticeable in toto.
>
> Dynamic_Array is implemented using AVL trees. So there is searching
> involved for each access and the complexity is O(Log N). But it is a
> far better choice than an array implementation if your key values are
> sparse.

No, my key values are not sparse, I've got all the keys from 0 to N,
where N might get up to 10^5 or so, less than 10^4 for the app at hand.
Your dynamic_array was the first best thing I saw available free off the
shelf for a variable N array of unbounded_string components.  As a
believer in not reinventing anything that's already been reinvented,  I
sure don't want to write any code when there's something already that
works. And I do mean "any code".

Any other freely available package do this better?

Al