From: Wes Groleau <wesgroleau@despammed.com>
Subject: Re: C.A.R. Hoare on liability
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:54:31 -0500
Date: 2002-06-19T12:54:31-05:00	[thread overview]

> > I sure don't understand this part.  It sounds as if "our customers"
> > were saying that, yes, we know how important it is to have checks
> > turned on even in production code, but, notwithstanding that
> > knowledge, we simply can't be trusted to leave them on ourselves, and
> > so we must be forced by the compiler to keep them turned on.  Very
> > odd!
>
> How about:
>
>         We are never going to turn them off, so please don't make
>         our user interface any more complicated than it already is.

How about:

   We know how stupid it would be to turn them off,
   and we don't want to risk having them turned off
   by the inevitable idiot that will slip past
   even the best employment screening.

or

   _We_ understand, but we don't want to take the
   chance that _management_ will order them turned
   off under pressure from _our_ customer to squeeze
   one more millisecond out of the cycle time.

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau