@ 2002-06-18 18:09 Ken Burtch
From: Ken Burtch @ 2002-06-18 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Date: Tuesday, June 25,2002 - 7:00-8:00pm
Location: Swiss Chalet - 234 Bloor Street W. - 416-972-6831
Meeting Info: http://www.pegasoft.ca/events.html
Please let us know if you're coming so we can reserve enough tables.

PegaSoft Canada is a Linux organization based in Toronto, Canada. More
of a club that a software company, PegaSoft holds regular open meetings
to discuss the latest trends and opportunities in Linux and work
together to develop great new Linux software. Our goal is to act both as
a programmer resource and to promote exciting projects developed by our
members.  For more information, visit our web site.

The happenings of the last dinner are at www.pegasoft.ca/main.html.

Open Forum: June News

- Caldera, SuSE, TurboLinux and Conectiva to standardize distributions
on SuSE-based UnitedLinux core.  "The four distributions will create a
single Linux distribution focused on the business server market.
Participating companies will be free to bundle their own software with
the distribution to add value to the generic distribution. Furthermore,
other Linux companies are free to join the effort."  Source code will be
provided but not binaries.
- Lineo bankrupt and sold, accused of hiding information and holding no
shareholder's annual meetings.
- Dell announces Red Hat / Oracle 9i clustering servers due to increased
corporate demand.
- Red Hat CEO accuses Sun of using Microsoft tactics by charging distros
carrying StarOffice 6 and has removed StarOffice from its CDs.  SuSE
continues to carry it, but at a fee.
- SuSE makes sales to German gov't citing improved security through
diversifying.  Wired reports that the U.S. gov't thinks diversifying is
a loophole and is reluctant to use open source software.
- EnGarde Linux get acclaim from LinuxLookup, NetworkComputing
- Nortel stocks heading for all-time record low, cuts more fiber optics
jobs.

Last Month News Followup:

- AudioGalaxy also "lawyered" out of business: backed down from a RIAA
law suit, halted all music trades, paid an undisclosed sum

Featured Talk
Introduction to Ada 95, the Newest GCC Language

An in-depth 1995 study by Stephen F. Zeigler showed that development in
Ada costs about half that of C++. It also suggests that Ada produces
"almost 90% fewer bugs".  Ken Burtch will provide a brief introduction
to the newest GCC language.

Viewer Mail

Ken's "System Manager in a Box" included with the new book "Linux+
Certification Bible" by Hungry Minds Press.  Our free copy of this new
Linux book will be passed around at the meeting.

Reminder: Just over two months to our Linux Summer Retreat!

--
Ken O. Burtch: http://www.pegasoft.ca               : Pegasoft
System Manager in a Box / Business Shell            : R.R.#1

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-06-18 18:09 UTC | newest]