* Ada and cryptography
@ 2002-06-16 19:45 Tuomas P
From: Tuomas P @ 2002-06-16 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

Is (can?) Ada being used in cryptographic applications? If it is,
could someone point me out to webpages that have cryptographic code in
Ada?

I have been reading Markus Kuhn's article on Ada95 ("Information for
New Ada95 Programmers") and I have the impression that Ada might do
well in that area (too!).

Thanks for your time.

Tuomas

* Re: Ada and cryptography
@ 2002-06-16 20:20 ` David Marceau
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: David Marceau @ 2002-06-16 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuomas P wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Is (can?) Ada being used in cryptographic applications? If it is,
> could someone point me out to webpages that have cryptographic code in
> Ada?
>
> I have been reading Markus Kuhn's article on Ada95 ("Information for
> New Ada95 Programmers") and I have the impression that Ada might do
> well in that area (too!).
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Tuomas
Here's one:
http://rijndael.com/implementations.html

* Re: Ada and cryptography
@ 2002-06-16 23:07 ` Ted Dennison
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-06-16 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuomas P wrote:
> Is (can?) Ada being used in cryptographic applications? If it is,
> could someone point me out to webpages that have cryptographic code in
> Ada?

The LMD/KP encryption key generation, protection and maintenence system
that the US armed forces use was written in Ada. You can't exactly
download its sources over the web though. :-)

I believe there are litterally thousands of these systems being used
"out in the field" (more likely, in the mountains) right now.

* Re: Ada and cryptography
@ 2002-06-17  2:07 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2002-06-17  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuomas P wrote:

> Is (can?) Ada being used in cryptographic applications? If it is,
> could someone point me out to webpages that have cryptographic code in
> Ada?

You can find some at

http://www.counterpane.com/solitaire.html

--
Jeff Carter
"Sons of a silly person."

* Re: Ada and cryptography
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-17  7:23 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2002-06-17  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

tuo_pe@yahoo.com (Tuomas P) writes:

> Is (can?) Ada being used in cryptographic applications?

Yes, it is.  Read http://www.sparkada.com/downloads/ieeesw.pdf for
an example.

* Re: Ada and cryptography
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-17  8:31 ` Antonio Duran
From: Antonio Duran @ 2002-06-17  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

tuo_pe@yahoo.com (Tuomas P) wrote in message news:<994828d9.0206161145.cbf4b08@posting.google.com>...
> Hi all!
>
> Is (can?) Ada being used in cryptographic applications? If it is,
> could someone point me out to webpages that have cryptographic code in
> Ada?
>
> I have been reading Markus Kuhn's article on Ada95 ("Information for
> New Ada95 Programmers") and I have the impression that Ada might do
> well in that area (too!).
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Tuomas

Yes it can. I'm trying to implement some cryptographic algorithms in
Ada95 and you can see that work in:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/adacf

I'm afraid I couldn't dedicate enough time to complete the work. What
you can find there is an implementation of some of the most important
cryptographic hash (message digest) algorithms (MD2, MD4, MD5, SHA-1,
RIPEMD-128, RIPEMD-160, TIGER, and HAVAL) and the test vectors for
these algorithms.

I'm currently working on a multiprecission natural number arithmetic
package, cryptographic pseudorandom number generators (BBS) and some
of the most important symmetric key ciphers (DES, 3-Way, Blowfish, and
others). If you want the source code I could send you but be aware
that is not production quality code (at least not yet).

    Antonio Duran

* Re: Ada and cryptography
@ 2002-06-17 13:53 Mike Brenner
From: Mike Brenner @ 2002-06-17 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Here's one: http://rijndael.com/implementations.html

I was unable to get code from that link. The following might do better:

ftp://ftp.ii.uib.no/pub/ada/serpent.tar.gz

* Re: Ada and cryptography
@ 2002-06-17 19:47   ` Gisle Sælensminde
From: Gisle Sælensminde @ 2002-06-17 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3D0D4448.813A3BE5@acm.org>, Jeffrey Carter wrote:
> Tuomas P wrote:
>>
>> Is (can?) Ada being used in cryptographic applications? If it is,
>> could someone point me out to webpages that have cryptographic code in
>> Ada?

I could not find the original article so I'm responding to this one

Ada is in fact very well-suited for cryptograph, especially symetric,
crypto, as most of the data types and operators needed can be defined or
are buldt in. For public-key crypto, bignumber libraries are missing,
but so are they doing in C, wich is considerd the "standard" language of
cryptography.

I have implemented the serpent algorithm in Ada myself:

ftp://ftp.ii.uib.no/pub/ada/serpent.tar.gz

Otherwise, the links to some of the crypto code I have used earlier seems
to be dead, which is sad.

--
Gisle S�lensminde ( gisle@ii.uib.no )

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going
to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. (from RFC 1925)

* Re: Ada and cryptography
@ 2002-06-17 23:15 ` David Marceau
From: David Marceau @ 2002-06-17 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike Brenner wrote:

> > Here's one: http://rijndael.com/implementations.html
>
> I was unable to get code from that link. The following might do better:
>
> ftp://ftp.ii.uib.no/pub/ada/serpent.tar.gz
Try this one:
http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~rijmen/rijndael/rijndaelada.zip