* Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-08  1:16 Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-06-08  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Having just discovered Ada as an interesting alternative to
other imperitive programming languages with which I am
competent, I downloaded and installed GNAT 3.14p on my
Windows 2000 system only to find that there is no graphical
IDE supplied (GNU Visual Debugger excluded).

(Aside: why is it that most providers of programming tools
try to force command-line interfaces on Windows users? What
could be more unnatural than a command-line interface on
Windows or, for that matter, Macintosh?)

Not quite ready to dispair yet, I downloaded a separate
program called AdaGIDE, which supposedly is compatible with
GNAT and Win95/NT, but, as it turned out, not with Win2K
(incompatible virtual device driver). :-(

Are there alternative GIDEs available? Obviously in the
learning phrase I would want to minimize my outlay, at
least until such time as I'm comfortable programming in Ada
and quite sure it is what the "hype" makes it out to be.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-08  1:40 ` chris.danx
                   ` (13 subsequent siblings)
From: chris.danx @ 2002-06-08  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> wrote in message
> Having just discovered Ada as an interesting alternative to
> other imperitive programming languages with which I am
> competent,

Smart guy.  More than one language is always good, and learning new ones
gives insight into the others.  Also sounds like you might have done fp,
which stretches your brain a bit too.

> (Aside: why is it that most providers of programming tools
> try to force command-line interfaces on Windows users? What
> could be more unnatural than a command-line interface on
> Windows or, for that matter, Macintosh?)

Emacs not for you then? :)  I hated it with a vengence until recently
(literally 2 days ago) but now I'm getting the hang of it and quite like it
(believe it or not I couldn't find a graphical ide for Linux of quality,
which was not C(++)/Java specific :)  btw I'm not a Linux maddy, Windows and
Context remains my fav).  It's also quite good for improving your memory;
**lot's** of things to remember until they become natural.

There is Jgrasp, don't know how good it is, and ConTEXT is a really good
editor (try for 0.96.3 not 0.97 it is a bit buggy)

ACT have a new graphical IDE (GPS) which their customers are getting, but
I'm not sure about a public release and if there is one it probably won't be
for ages yet anyway.

Chris

* RE: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-08  3:09 Beard, Frank [Contractor]
From: Beard, Frank [Contractor] @ 2002-06-08  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you like the look and feel of the Microsoft Visual tools,
then currently your best bet is Aonix ObjectAda (www.aonix.com).
They have a free version, which includes the GUI Builder, but both
have limitations.   Hopefully, it's enough for you to learn what
you need.  I use the Professional Edition (about $595), but they
have at least one cheaper version.

Frank

[...]

@ 2002-06-08  3:20 ` Jeffrey Carter
                   ` (12 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2002-06-08  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

John English provides GNIDE, which is developed in Delphi, may work on
win2k, and is free:

http://www.comp.it.brighton.ac.uk/je

--
Jeff Carter
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-08  5:41 ` JM
                   ` (11 subsequent siblings)
From: JM @ 2002-06-08  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 01:16:02 GMT, "Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no>
wrote:

>Not quite ready to dispair yet, I downloaded a separate
>program called AdaGIDE, which supposedly is compatible with
>GNAT and Win95/NT, but, as it turned out, not with Win2K
>(incompatible virtual device driver). :-(

 I'm using AdaGide under Win2k pro with no problems.

-jason

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-08  7:54 ` Michal Nowak
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: Michal Nowak @ 2002-06-08  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2002-06-08 at 01:16 Daniel Dudley wrote:

>Having just discovered Ada as an interesting alternative to
>other imperitive programming languages with which I am
>competent,

Yea, that's it!

>I downloaded and installed GNAT 3.14p on my
>Windows 2000 system only to find that there is no graphical
>IDE supplied (GNU Visual Debugger excluded).

[cut]

>Not quite ready to dispair yet, I downloaded a separate
>program called AdaGIDE, which supposedly is compatible with
>GNAT and Win95/NT, but, as it turned out, not with Win2K
>(incompatible virtual device driver). :-(

Have you downloaded the newest version from:
http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html

If so and the problem persists, try to search this group's
archive on google, I'm not sure if I remember well, but there
was a thread devoted to similar problem. AdaGIDE should work
well on W2K, it worked on my tech. university.

I case you couldn't force it to work, and want to try something
else, here is what I have:

GNIDE - GNAT IDE by John English, simple IDE:
http://www.comp.it.brighton.ac.uk/je (but it is no longer available
under this address)

ConTEXT - quite nice configurable editor. I used it before AdaGIDE:
http://www.fixedsys.com/context/

GRASP and jGRASP. GRASP is not actively developed now, but still
possible to download. jGRASP is is newest, but it runs on Java and
therefore is terribly sloooow (+ JVM crashes):
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/grasp/

SciTE - quite advanced editor:
http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

I hope this gave you some help,
Mike
"In the world of machines, virtual machines,
dominated by software ...
                  ... a new culture is born"

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-08  9:24 ` Fran�ois BERGERET
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Fran�ois BERGERET @ 2002-06-08  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi !
I use ADAgide on W2Kpro (learning).
Get my friend Stephane's free distro 'Aide' full of all necessary free tools and libraries at :
http://eig.unige.ch/lii/Aide.htm

And good luck and learning with this great language !

Fran�ois BERGERET / France
f6hqz@wanadoo.fr

"Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> a �crit dans le message news: mVcM8.420$sq6.6278@news2.ulv.nextra.no...
> Having just discovered Ada as an interesting alternative to
> other imperitive programming languages with which I am
> competent, I downloaded and installed GNAT 3.14p on my
> Windows 2000 system only to find that there is no graphical
> IDE supplied (GNU Visual Debugger excluded).
>
> (Aside: why is it that most providers of programming tools
> try to force command-line interfaces on Windows users? What
> could be more unnatural than a command-line interface on
> Windows or, for that matter, Macintosh?)
>
> Not quite ready to dispair yet, I downloaded a separate
> program called AdaGIDE, which supposedly is compatible with
> GNAT and Win95/NT, but, as it turned out, not with Win2K
> (incompatible virtual device driver). :-(
>
> Are there alternative GIDEs available? Obviously in the
> learning phrase I would want to minimize my outlay, at
> least until such time as I'm comfortable programming in Ada
> and quite sure it is what the "hype" makes it out to be.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Daniel

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-08  9:24 ` Ingo Marks
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Ingo Marks @ 2002-06-08  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Dudley wrote:

> Having just discovered Ada as an interesting alternative to
> other imperitive programming languages with which I am
> competent, I downloaded and installed GNAT 3.14p on my
> Windows 2000 system only to find that there is no graphical
> IDE supplied (GNU Visual Debugger excluded).

"GPS" (GNAT Programming System) looks very interesting. AFAIK it will have
the power and "feeling" of MS Visual Studio C++.

http://www.gnat.com

Regards,
Ingo

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-08 12:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-06-08 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<ngdM8.2187$iK5.153863@news8-gui.server.ntli.net>...

> ACT have a new graphical IDE (GPS) which their customers are getting, but
> I'm not sure about a public release and if there is one it probably won't be
> for ages yet anyway.

You are confused on this Chris! We have not yet distributed the GNAT
Programming System (this is what Chris is referring to) to our
customers. For those of you out there who *are* our customers, you
will receive an announcement shortly about the status of GPS shortly.\

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-08 12:21 ` Robert Dewar
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-06-08 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> wrote in message news:<mVcM8.420$sq6.6278@news2.ulv.nextra.no>...

> Not quite ready to dispair yet, I downloaded a separate
> program called AdaGIDE, which supposedly is compatible with
> GNAT and Win95/NT, but, as it turned out, not with Win2K
> (incompatible virtual device driver). :-(

You despaired too early. AdaGIDE works fine on Win2K.

There are also several other possibilities including GNIDE from
John English, and GLADE from Ada Core (though the latter is an
EMACS based system intended more for serious developers than
beginners).

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-08 12:21 ` Robert Dewar
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-06-08 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> wrote in message news:<mVcM8.420$sq6.6278@news2.ulv.nextra.no>...

> Not quite ready to dispair yet, I downloaded a separate
> program called AdaGIDE, which supposedly is compatible with
> GNAT and Win95/NT, but, as it turned out, not with Win2K
> (incompatible virtual device driver). :-(

You despaired too early. AdaGIDE works fine on Win2K.

There are also several other possibilities including GNIDE from
John English, and GLADE from Ada Core (though the latter is an
EMACS based system intended more for serious developers than
beginners).

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-08 12:40 ` Aidan Skinner
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Aidan Skinner @ 2002-06-08 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

wrote in <mVcM8.420$sq6.6278@news2.ulv.nextra.no>:

>  competent, I downloaded and installed GNAT 3.14p on my
>  Windows 2000 system only to find that there is no graphical
>  IDE supplied (GNU Visual Debugger excluded).

You could try downloading emacs, it's not prettyist thing on the
block, however it's ada-mode integrates nicely with GNAT and the rest
of the GNU tool chain (such as gdb, gvd...)

check
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs
http://www.lerner.co.il/emacs/faq-body.html
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

- Aidan
--
aidan@velvet.net  http://www.velvet.net/~aidan/  aim:aidans42
finger for pgp key fingerprint |Unix Programmer/Admin actively seeking work

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-08 12:50   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2002-06-08 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> John English provides GNIDE, which is developed in Delphi, may work on
> win2k, and is free:
>
> http://www.comp.it.brighton.ac.uk/je

The correct link to GNIDE is:

http://www.comp.it.brighton.ac.uk/pub/je

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-08 13:05 ` Preben Randhol
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-06-08 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 01:16:02 GMT, Daniel Dudley wrote:
> Are there alternative GIDEs available? Obviously in the
> learning phrase I would want to minimize my outlay, at
> least until such time as I'm comfortable programming in Ada
> and quite sure it is what the "hype" makes it out to be.

Please concentrate on the language and not on the IDEs. I think you will
get Adagide working as other reports that it is working on Win2k and
when GPS comes you will have an excellent IDE.

Note one thing now that you learn Ada: As Ada is a strict/strong typed
language you may get a bit frustrated in the beginning that the compiler
is complaining a lot. Note however that this is a good thing because it
means that the compiler is catching your errors at compile time rather
than let them pass and make a program that will crash at run-time as less
strict languages do. Another advantage is that you get your code
corrected with an explanation right away. In this way you learn Ada
quicker. You will soon see that all the errors disappears.

But just out of curiousity. You say that Ada is hyped?

Preben

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-08 13:23   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-06-08 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) writes:

> "Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> wrote in message news:<mVcM8.420$sq6.6278@news2.ulv.nextra.no>...
>
> > Not quite ready to dispair yet, I downloaded a separate
> > program called AdaGIDE, which supposedly is compatible with
> > GNAT and Win95/NT, but, as it turned out, not with Win2K
> > (incompatible virtual device driver). :-(
>
> You despaired too early. AdaGIDE works fine on Win2K.
>
> There are also several other possibilities including GNIDE from
> John English, and GLADE from Ada Core (though the latter is an

Robert meant GLIDE here (not GLADE).

Pascal.

--|

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-08 13:24     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-06-08 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5ee5b646.0206080400.2fcaa9c5@posting.google.com>, dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) writes:

> customers. For those of you out there who *are* our customers, you
> will receive an announcement shortly about the status of GPS shortly.\

Is "GPS shortly" some sort of limited release :-)

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-08 14:23 ` Michael Bode
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Bode @ 2002-06-08 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> writes:

> (Aside: why is it that most providers of programming tools
> try to force command-line interfaces on Windows users? What
> could be more unnatural than a command-line interface on
> Windows or, for that matter, Macintosh?)

In addition to the half dozen or so suggestions for IDEs I have to say
that for Ada and in particular for Gnat a command line interface is
not as bad as for other languages. You don't have to learn the command
line syntax of several compile & link steps or the "programming
language" of a complex make utility. Simply typing 'gnatmake hello' to
build the executable should not be too difficult for a programmer. And
it works the same way for much larger projects too.

So even if there were no IDEs for Ada - which is not true - building an
Ada program on the command line is much simpler than building e.g. a
C{++} program.

BTW: I'm pretty sure Microsoft's Visual C++ is a command line compiler
too. Visual Studion calls it in the same way that Emacs calls Gnat. I
suspect that Visual Studio even uses make files and nmake to build
larger projects.

--
begin  Outlook_is_crap.txt.vbs

Legen Sie die Diskette beschriftet mit Windows XP Professional-CD-ROM
in Laufwerk A: ein.

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-08 16:16     ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2002-06-08 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert Dewar" <dewar@gnat.com> wrote in message
> "chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
> > ACT have a new graphical IDE (GPS) which their customers are getting,
but
> > I'm not sure about a public release and if there is one it probably
won't be
> > for ages yet anyway.
>
> You are confused on this Chris!

No I'm not.  I said your customers "are getting" GPS, I didn't say they'd
got GPS or when they'd get it (after all that's up to ACT).  Perphaps my
phrasing of that was a bit ambiguous and I apologise for any confusion that
may have caused.

Chris

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-08 16:41       ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2002-06-08 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> No I'm not.  I said your customers "are getting" GPS, I didn't say they'd
> got GPS or when they'd get it (after all that's up to ACT).  Perphaps my
> phrasing of that was a bit ambiguous and I apologise for any confusion that
> may have caused.

When I went to school, "are getting" was present tense (not ambiguous at all),
but perhaps things have changed in the last 50+ years.

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-08 18:44     ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2002-06-08 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote in message

> The correct link to GNIDE is:
>
> http://www.comp.it.brighton.ac.uk/pub/je

Still does not work...Anyone wish to try again?

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-08 19:45       ` SteveD
From: SteveD @ 2002-06-08 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found a link to get GNIDE at:

  http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/language/ada/index.htm

SteveD

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-08 20:06   ` Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-06-08 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote in message
> On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 01:16:02 GMT, Daniel Dudley wrote:
[snipped]
> But just out of curiousity. You say that Ada is hyped?

What I hope I had said, Preben, was that I need to confirm
that all that is said/purported (hyped) about Ada is, in fact, true.
I'm referring to the good things, of course, :-) one seldom
hears about the bad things. :-(

@ 2002-06-08 20:18   ` Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-06-08 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael Bode" <m.g.bode@web.de> wrote in message
> "Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> writes:
>
> > (Aside: why is it that most providers of programming tools
> > try to force command-line interfaces on Windows users? What
> > could be more unnatural than a command-line interface on
> > Windows or, for that matter, Macintosh?)
>
> In addition to the half dozen or so suggestions for IDEs I have to
say
> that for Ada and in particular for Gnat a command line interface is
> not as bad as for other languages. You don't have to learn the
command
> line syntax of several compile & link steps or the "programming
> language" of a complex make utility. Simply typing 'gnatmake hello'
> build the executable should not be too difficult for a programmer.
And
> it works the same way for much larger projects too.
>
> So even if there were no IDEs for Ada - which is not true - building
an
> Ada program on the command line is much simpler than building e.g. a
> C{++} program.
>
> BTW: I'm pretty sure Microsoft's Visual C++ is a command line
compiler
> too. Visual Studion calls it in the same way that Emacs calls Gnat.
> suspect that Visual Studio even uses make files and nmake to build
> larger projects.

I'd be surprised if it isn't, Michael. My point is that I
want to avoid having to write parameters on the command
line or in batch/command files. An IDE provides an
alternative way for the user to provide the necessary
parameters, and then takes care of writing them to the
command line. I guess I'm used to being pampered. ;-)

@ 2002-06-08 20:48     ` Michael Bode
From: Michael Bode @ 2002-06-08 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> writes:

> I'd be surprised if it isn't, Michael. My point is that I
> want to avoid having to write parameters on the command
> line or in batch/command files. An IDE provides an
> alternative way for the user to provide the necessary
> parameters, and then takes care of writing them to the
> command line. I guess I'm used to being pampered. ;-)

Ok, but still it is pretty simple to type the command line parameters
for gnat. And because it is so simple pretty much every programmer's
editor should be able to handle it for you. I'm using Emacs 21. It
needs a bit of getting used to, but it has among others the advantage
that you can use it on Windows, Linux and many other systems. Learn
once, use everywhere. It also has support for CVS (works on Windows
too). And for Ada of course.

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-09  0:20       ` Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-06-09  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> writes:
>
> > I'd be surprised if it isn't, Michael. My point is that I
> > want to avoid having to write parameters on the command
> > line or in batch/command files. An IDE provides an
> > alternative way for the user to provide the necessary
> > parameters, and then takes care of writing them to the
> > command line. I guess I'm used to being pampered. ;-)
>
> Ok, but still it is pretty simple to type the command line
> parameters for gnat. And because it is so simple pretty much
> every programmer's editor should be able to handle it for you.
> I'm using Emacs 21. It needs a bit of getting used to, but it
> has among others the advantage that you can use it on Windows,
> Linux and many other systems. Learn once, use everywhere. It
> also has support for CVS (works on Windows too). And for Ada
> of course.

Yes, Aidan Skinner suggested Emacs too. I've tried it in
connection with both Prolog and Mozart (and maybe others)
but never felt comfortable with it. I guess some people are
more resilient too antiquities than others. ;-) But maybe
Emacs has got better lately, perhaps even got the "look and
feel" of a Windows' program. Now _that_ would be the 8th
wonder of the world! That we should get so lucky. :-)

@ 2002-06-09  0:23         ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2002-06-09  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> When I went to school, "are getting" was present tense (not ambiguous at
all),

Yeah, you're right sorry.   I've had one of those days were nothing I say or
write makes any sense.  Hoping it's just a 24 hour thing.

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-09  2:17 ` David Botton
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Botton @ 2002-06-09  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

It should work with Win2K. In fact I just fired it up now to make sure.
Perhaps you could describe a little more fully the error.

David Botton

@ 2002-06-09 10:18         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-06-09 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 09 Jun 2002 00:20:06 GMT, Daniel Dudley wrote:

> Yes, Aidan Skinner suggested Emacs too. I've tried it in
> connection with both Prolog and Mozart (and maybe others)
> but never felt comfortable with it. I guess some people are
> more resilient too antiquities than others. ;-) But maybe
> Emacs has got better lately, perhaps even got the "look and
> feel" of a Windows' program. Now _that_ would be the 8th
> wonder of the world! That we should get so lucky. :-)

Just for the record Emacs is not an antiquity.

Preben

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-09 10:55         ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2002-06-09 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> writes:

>                                                 But maybe Emacs has
> got better lately, perhaps even got the "look and feel" of a
> Windows' program.

What an appalling idea :-)

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-09 12:24           ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-06-09 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <slrnag6are.1g9.randhol+abuse@kiuk0156.chembio.ntnu.no>, Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> writes:
> On Sun, 09 Jun 2002 00:20:06 GMT, Daniel Dudley wrote:
>>
>> Yes, Aidan Skinner suggested Emacs too. I've tried it in
>> connection with both Prolog and Mozart (and maybe others)
>> but never felt comfortable with it. I guess some people are
>> more resilient too antiquities than others. ;-) But maybe
>> Emacs has got better lately, perhaps even got the "look and
>> feel" of a Windows' program. Now _that_ would be the 8th
>> wonder of the world! That we should get so lucky. :-)
>
> Just for the record Emacs is not an antiquity.

Correct.  Emacs is a johnny-come-lately editor, whose original
implementation was written in _my_ editor of choice, TECO :-)

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-09 13:10   ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2002-06-09 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Botton" <David@Botton.com> wrote in message
> It should work with Win2K. In fact I just fired it up now to make sure.
> Perhaps you could describe a little more fully the error.

Works here too (win2k sp2 (& pre sp3) with compatibility updates).

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
                   ` (11 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-09 14:25 ` Pheet
From: Pheet @ 2002-06-09 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hiya,

I quite like SciTE, http://www.scintilla.org - it copes with practically
every language out there and also has a nice export to html function.

If you want purely an Ada IDE, try GNAT IDE by John English from
http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/ .

HTH,

Pheet

@ 2002-06-09 15:47           ` Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-06-09 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Simon Wright" <simon@pushface.org> wrote in message
> "Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> writes:
>
> >                                                 But maybe Emacs
has
> > got better lately, perhaps even got the "look and feel" of a
> > Windows' program.
>
> What an appalling idea :-)

Touche. :-)

@ 2002-06-09 15:56     ` Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-06-09 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "David Botton" <David@Botton.com> wrote in message
> > It should work with Win2K. In fact I just fired it up now
> > to make sure.
> > Perhaps you could describe a little more fully the error.
>
> Works here too (win2k sp2 (& pre sp3) with compatibility
> updates).

At this moment I only know that Install reports
"incompatible VDD -- virtual device driver". Maybe
something else on my system is stopping it.

@ 2002-06-09 16:08   ` Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-06-09 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Fran�ois BERGERET" <f6hqz@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> Hi !
> I use ADAgide on W2Kpro (learning).
> Get my friend Stephane's free distro 'Aide' full of all necessary
> free tools and libraries at :
> http://eig.unige.ch/lii/Aide.htm

Nice site, but unfortunately incomprehensible to me. :-(

> And good luck and learning with this great language !

Well, thanks a lot, I'll certainly do my best.

@ 2002-06-09 16:13   ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2002-06-09 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal Nowak:

> SciTE - quite advanced editor:
> http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

BTW, Sergey Koshcheyev has made in April a quite attractive
mixture of Scintilla and AdaGIDE.
At least, a prototype.
Search with groups.google.com.
Gautier  --  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/gsoft.htm

NB: For a direct answer, address on the Web site!

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-09 16:38     ` Sergey Koshcheyev
From: Sergey Koshcheyev @ 2002-06-09 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Gautier" <gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Michal Nowak:
> > SciTE - quite advanced editor:
> > http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
>
> BTW, Sergey Koshcheyev has made in April a quite attractive
> mixture of Scintilla and AdaGIDE.

In fact, I still have it on my hard drive, but I have almost stopped working
on it. So it exists, works (I use it), but isn't quite fit for a public
release.

Sergey.

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-09 17:16       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-06-09 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Bode <m.g.bode@web.de> wrote in message news:<m3u1odijig.fsf@jupiter.solar.system>...

> Ok, but still it is pretty simple to type the command
> line parameters for gnat. And because it is so simple
> pretty much every programmer's editor should be able to
> handle it for you.

Sure, but we are looking for a lot more functionality
than that, including intelligent browsing, integration
of the project facilility etc, and integrating that into
an arbitrary editor is quite a bit of work. The GNAT
Programming System will support two editors, the native
GPS editor and EMACS, and support here means full support
in this extended sense.

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-09 17:54 ` Richard Riehle
From: Richard Riehle @ 2002-06-09 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Beard, Frank [Contractor]" wrote:

> If you like the look and feel of the Microsoft Visual tools,
> then currently your best bet is Aonix ObjectAda (www.aonix.com).
> They have a free version, which includes the GUI Builder, but both
> have limitations.   Hopefully, it's enough for you to learn what
> you need.  I use the Professional Edition (about $595), but they
> have at least one cheaper version.
>
> Frank

For a long time I have thought that it would be really great
if the Aonix development environment were tailorable so
it would support more than one compiler.    That would
allow us to use Janus Ada, GNAT,  or whatever other
compiler were available for Windows environments.

Richard Riehle

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-09 18:56     ` Fran�ois BERGERET
From: Fran�ois BERGERET @ 2002-06-09 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Daniel.

Oups ! You don't read french ?
I am french and I read english... ;-)
Ok, ok, I know, english is THE universal language for all guys who are
playing computers.

So, to be enjoyed by my friend Stephane's ADA distro 'Aide', you have
only to go to : ftp://129.194.186.90/aide/
and :              ftp://129.194.186.90/aide/aide/  to read (to tempt to understand)
'installation.txt' file.

AdaGide in this distro is patched to be installed 'as this' by copying its tree directly
under a disk root, without complex registry entries and DLL in the system directory.
You have only to modify your PATH variable to say where is 'Aide' files tree...

To avoid misunderstanding, following is a partial traslation of the 'installation.txt' file.

Good luck !
Best Regards from Fran�ois BERGERET / France
f6hqz@wanadoo.fr

<!--StartFragment-->

[3] - Installation
      ============

Dans les exemples ci-dessous, on consid�re que :
- Windows est dans c:\winnt
- AIDE doit �tre install� dans c:\aide
Partial translation> We consider that Windows is in c:\winnt and
AIDE must be in c:\aide.

# Avec changement du path
>With PATH modification

1) Copiez le r�pertoire \aide du cdrom dans c:\aide
> Copy the directory \aide form CD (or ftp server) in c:\aide

2) Copiez c:\aide\bin\*.lnk sur le bureau
> Copy c:\aide\bin\*.lnk on your desktop

3) Par l'applet syst�me du panneau de configuration, ajo�tez au d�but
   de la variable d'environnement PATH la chaine (sans les guillements)
   "c:\aide\bin;"
> Change your Path by adding "c:\aide\bin;" (without the " characters)
at the start of the string.

L'installation est termin�e.
> Installation is done !

#Personnalis�e
> Typical localized installation

Si vous n'avez pas copi� AIDE dans c:\aide mais dans z:\myrep
> If you have not copied AIDE in c`\aide but in z:\myrep, then :

1) Dans z:\mon_rep\bin\setada.cmd modifiez ADA_DISK=z: et ADA_PATH=\myfolder
> In z:\myfolder\bin\setada.cmd change ADA_DISK=z: and ADA_PATH=\myfolder

2) Mettre � jour le chemin z:\myfolder dans les propri�t�s des .lnk
   pr�cedemment copi�s sur le bureau.
> Update the path z:\myfolder in the .lnk properties.

La personnalisation de l'installation est termin�e.

"Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> a �crit dans le message news: O3LM8.858$sq6.17515@news2.ulv.nextra.no...
> "Fran�ois BERGERET" <f6hqz@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> > Hi !
> > I use ADAgide on W2Kpro (learning).
> > Get my friend Stephane's free distro 'Aide' full of all necessary
> > free tools and libraries at :
> > http://eig.unige.ch/lii/Aide.htm
>
> Nice site, but unfortunately incomprehensible to me. :-(
>
> > And good luck and learning with this great language !
>
> Well, thanks a lot, I'll certainly do my best.
>
> Daniel

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
                   ` (12 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-09 22:20 ` Daniel Dudley
From: Daniel Dudley @ 2002-06-09 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Dudley" <dudley@online.no> wrote in message
[snipped]
> Not quite ready to dispair yet, I downloaded a separate
> program called AdaGIDE, which supposedly is compatible with
> GNAT and Win95/NT, but, as it turned out, not with Win2K
> (incompatible virtual device driver). :-(
[snipped]

The problem I've had installing AdaGide is now history. The
install process was (mis)directed to a registry entry
belonging to Norton SystemWorks, namely

    SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

the data of which is a path to S32EVNT1.DLL (Symantec dll).
This time, rather than selecting the "Close" button in the
error message, I selected the "Ignore" button, and the
install process continued without further problems. :-) At
least as far as I can tell--I've yet to tryout the program.

Many thanks for the concern displayed by correspondents in
this thread, which is far more than I expected. That so
many people would give their time to getting me on-track
promises much for the future of Ada and its community. :-)
I hope that I'll eventually be able to contribute actively
and positively to the newsgroup.

Cheers,

@ 2002-06-10  2:21       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-06-10  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Fran?is BERGERET" <f6hqz@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:<ae08d3$9m5$1@wanadoo.fr>...
> Hello Daniel.
>
> Oups ! You don't read french ?
> I am french and I read english... ;-)
> Ok, ok, I know, english is THE universal language for all
> guys who are playing computers.

Not at all, it is just that this newsgroup is an english
one. I am betting that if people started posting messages
in English on the French version of CLA, they would be
*quite* unwelcome :-) :-)

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
@ 2002-06-10 11:29       ` Michal Nowak
From: Michal Nowak @ 2002-06-10 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2002-06-09 at 18:38 Sergey Koshcheyev wrote:

>"Gautier" <gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Michal Nowak:
>> > SciTE - quite advanced editor:
>> > http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
>>
>> BTW, Sergey Koshcheyev has made in April a quite attractive
>> mixture of Scintilla and AdaGIDE.
>
>In fact, I still have it on my hard drive, but I have almost stopped
>working
>on it. So it exists, works (I use it), but isn't quite fit for a public
>release.

That's OK. With my present needs (or skills) AdaGIDE in present form is
all I need under Windows. Simple in use and appriopriate even for middle
sized projects. Especially, when Gautier added possibility to change
colours and now I may have my black background. Thank you one more time!

Mike

"In the world of machines, virtual machines,
dominated by software ...
                  ... a new culture is born"

* Re: Is there a Graphical IDE to GNAT 3.14p (Win2K platform)?
                   ` (13 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-10 15:09 ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2002-06-10 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

AdaGide works fine with Windows 2000 and is available from:
http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html
It used to be included with GNAT as discussed in the README
but the above link is mentioned.  I assume AdaGide is no longer  included
with GNAT because it gets updated quite often so it is better to get
the latest version directly and then check back from time to time for new
releases.
Try reinstalling both GNAT and AdaGide again.  It definitely should
work.  It is a very nice GUI.  If you are doing some windows programs,
I have also found John English's JEWL package very useful as well.
See:
http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/jewl/

Good luck.  I think you'll love Ada if you give it a chance.

Jerry

-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation (GPS/INS), Guidance, &
Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to reply

@ 2002-06-18 16:06         ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2002-06-18 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> wrote:
> Not at all, it is just that this newsgroup is an english
> one. I am betting that if people started posting messages
> in English on the French version of CLA, they would be
> *quite* unwelcome :-) :-)

you won

--
--Peter Hermann(49)0711-685-3611 fax3758 ica2ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
--Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen