* Ada Web Server
@ 2002-06-06 19:57 Darren Ingram
From: Darren Ingram @ 2002-06-06 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Forgive me if i seem a little stuipd.. its because i am!

I am currently trying to set up AWS on win98 machine.  I've not had to do
anything like this before, so im not too sure what im doing!  I have
succesfull got the latest version of ada going.

Im at the stage of the guide which says:

"Building

When you have built and configured all libraries you must either set
ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and ADA_OBJECTS_PATH (for GNAT) to point to the right
directories or update the INCLUDES variable in top `makefile'.

At this point you can build AWS. There is two ways to build AWS:

with SSL support
   $ make build_ssl

without SSL support (no need for the OpenSSL libraries in this case).
   $ make build_std

In each case you'll certainly have to edit the makefile to correctly set the
include path for the libraries POSIX, OpenSSL and Socket. For more
information, look at the makefiles. "

Can anyone explain to me what this actually means (put it in simple terms
for a simple person!) or point me in the direction of a newsgroup/website
etc where i might get some help?
You can mail me at dazatrustsno1@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance!
Darren

* Re: Ada Web Server
@ 2002-06-06 20:36 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-06-06 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Darren Ingram" <dazatrustsno1@hotmail.com> writes:

> I am currently trying to set up AWS on win98 machine.

Please, try using a real OS :)

> I've not had to do anything like this before, so im not too sure what im
> doing!  I have succesfull got the latest version of ada going.
>
> Im at the stage of the guide which says:
>
> "Building
>
> When you have built and configured all libraries you must either set
> ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and ADA_OBJECTS_PATH (for GNAT) to point to the right
> directories or update the INCLUDES variable in top `makefile'.
>
> At this point you can build AWS. There is two ways to build AWS:
>
> with SSL support
>    $ make build_ssl
>
> without SSL support (no need for the OpenSSL libraries in this case).
>    $ make build_std
>
> In each case you'll certainly have to edit the makefile to correctly set the
> include path for the libraries POSIX, OpenSSL and Socket. For more
> information, look at the makefiles. "

This is redundant with first paragraph.

> Can anyone explain to me what this actually means (put it in simple terms
> for a simple person!) or point me in the direction of a newsgroup/website
> etc where i might get some help?

All this has been written by a french guy :)

It means:

1) Compile all libraries needed by AWS : Adasockets is mandatory, POSIX is
   optional.

2) Update ADA_INCLUDE_PATH/ADA_OBJECT_PATH (see GNAT doc) to point to the
   libraries's installation directory.

3) build AWS (make build_std)

You are right it is not clear, I'll try to fix that for the next release.

You certainly should post such question to the AWS mailing-list. See
http://libre.act-europe.fr/aws.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: Ada Web Server
@ 2002-06-06 20:44 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-06-06 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Darren Ingram" <dazatrustsno1@hotmail.com> writes:

> Im at the stage of the guide which says:

Wait wait... you have quoted an old version of the AWS manual and you have
omitted part of it. Which version are you using ?

Please download latest version which is 1.2 (it seems that the quote is from
1.0 or 0.9).

Pascal.

--|

* Re: Ada Web Server
@ 2002-06-07 13:44   ` Darren Ingram
From: Darren Ingram @ 2002-06-07 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, sorry, i copied from a website i had open, rather than the printed out
1.2 version i have been working from (which is 1.2):

When you have built and configured all libraries you must either set
ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and ADA_OBJECTS_PATH (for GNAT) to point to the right
directories or update the INCLUDES variable in top `makefile'.

At this point you can build AWS. There is two ways to build AWS:

with SSL support
   $ make set_ssl
   $ make build

without SSL support (no need for the OpenSSL libraries in this case).
   $ make set_std
   $ make build

I still don't know what im doing!
"Pascal Obry" <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message

> "Darren Ingram" <dazatrustsno1@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Im at the stage of the guide which says:
>
> Wait wait... you have quoted an old version of the AWS manual and you have
> omitted part of it. Which version are you using ?
>
> Please download latest version which is 1.2 (it seems that the quote is
from
> 1.0 or 0.9).
>
> Pascal.
>
> --
>
> --|------------------------------------------------------
> --| Pascal Obry                           Team-Ada Member
> --| 45, rue Gabriel Peri - 78114 Magny Les Hameaux FRANCE
> --|------------------------------------------------------
> --|         http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry
> --| "The best way to travel is by means of imagination"
> --|
> --| gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-key C1082595

* Re: Ada Web Server
@ 2002-06-07 14:42 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-06-07 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Darren Ingram" <dazatrustsno1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3cffbeb6_3@mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com>...
> Forgive me if i seem a little stuipd.. its because i am!
>
> I am currently trying to set up AWS on win98 machine.  I've not had to do
> anything like this before, so im not too sure what im doing!  I have
> succesfull got the latest version of ada going.
>
> Im at the stage of the guide which says:
>
> "Building
> Can anyone explain to me what this actually means (put it in simple terms
> for a simple person!) or point me in the direction of a newsgroup/website

AWS isn't really set up for use by rank programming newbies. In order
to understand the instructions, you really need to know the following:

 1)  How to tell your compiler where to look for source files.
 2)  At least the bare fundamentals of editing makefiles.

If you feel up to it, you can find out 1 by reading the Gnat User
Guide, which will be in an appropriately named program group in your
start menu. You can find out 2 by reading the GNU Make manual, which
is available online at http://www.gnu.org/manual/make-3.79.1/make.html
.

--
T.E.D.
Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)

* Re: Ada Web Server
@ 2002-06-07 18:19   ` Darren Ingram
From: Darren Ingram @ 2002-06-07 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> AWS isn't really set up for use by rank programming newbies. In order
> to understand the instructions, you really need to know the following:
>
>  1)  How to tell your compiler where to look for source files.
>  2)  At least the bare fundamentals of editing makefiles.
>
> If you feel up to it, you can find out 1 by reading the Gnat User
> Guide, which will be in an appropriately named program group in your
> start menu. You can find out 2 by reading the GNU Make manual, which
> is available online at http://www.gnu.org/manual/make-3.79.1/make.html
> .

Ok, thanks, i'll take a look.
I'm currently at uni and am thinking of looking at AWS for my final year
project.  I've done programming in Ada before, but have never had to worry
about this configuration side (as the university have had eveything i've
needed setup already!).  The project is to research into AWS and try to make
an application with it ... i figured i should at least try to get it running
before commiting myself to a project of it!

Thanks for the info
Darren

* Re: Ada Web Server
@ 2002-06-07 18:29     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-06-07 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 19:19:10 +0100, Darren Ingram wrote:
> Ok, thanks, i'll take a look.
> I'm currently at uni and am thinking of looking at AWS for my final year
> project.  I've done programming in Ada before, but have never had to worry
> about this configuration side (as the university have had eveything i've
> needed setup already!).  The project is to research into AWS and try to make
> an application with it ... i figured i should at least try to get it running
> before commiting myself to a project of it!

You should definitely get a better OS than Window 98. Try Linux.

But note that for your Window 98 you should get and install Cygwin then
you will have the make command too and it will be more easy for you.

Go to: http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

Preben

* Re: Ada Web Server
@ 2002-06-07 19:23     ` achrist
From: achrist @ 2002-06-07 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Darren Ingram wrote:

> Ok, thanks, i'll take a look.
> I'm currently at uni and am thinking of looking at AWS for my final year
> project.  I've done programming in Ada before, but have never had to worry
> about this configuration side (as the university have had eveything i've
> needed setup already!).  The project is to research into AWS and try to make
> an application with it ... i figured i should at least try to get it running
> before commiting myself to a project of it!

It's not that hard, maybe a 2 on a difficulty scale of 1-10. There are
plenty of things that I can't get to work, and I was able to get AWS to
compile and run fine for me.

Al