* ASIS for GNAT
@ 1998-04-20  0:00 Nigel J. Tracey
From: Nigel J. Tracey @ 1998-04-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone give me pointers on where to find the latest public version of
ASIS-for-GNAT. I am doing some research in automated test-data generation
for Ada programs and currently rely on using the internal GNAT semantic
tree. Obviously using ASIS is the way to go. I would like to know how
complete the ASIS implementation is, which version of GNAT it works with,
and where to find it.

Also if the public release is a long way behind the supported release
information on the state of the supported release would also be useful.

Thanks for your help,

Nigel

--------------------
Nigel J. Tracey MEng, Research Associate (High Integrity Systems Group).
Department of Computer Science,   Office: CS/120K
University of York,
York, England.                    E-Mail: njt@cs.york.ac.uk
YO1 5DD.                          URL   : http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/~njt

* Re: ASIS for GNAT
@ 1998-04-20  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1998-04-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <llafh6.ak.ln@localhost>, njt@cs.york.ac.uk (Nigel J. Tracey) wrote:

(start of quote)
Can anyone give me pointers on where to find the latest public version of
ASIS-for-GNAT. I am doing some research in automated test-data generation
for Ada programs and currently rely on using the internal GNAT semantic
tree. Obviously using ASIS is the way to go. I would like to know how
complete the ASIS implementation is, which version of GNAT it works with,
and where to find it.
(end of quote)

Here is post to the Team-Ada list by the chair of the ASIS WG.  You can get
more info at the ASIS webpage at ACM.

(start of quote)
Subject:     ASIS Ballot Successful!!!
Date:        03.25  7:53 AM
From:        Currie Colket, colket@colket.org
To:          TEAM-ADA@ACM.ORG

Dear Team-Ada,

The concurrent ballots for Committee Draft (CD) Registration and Final
CD (FCD) Approval for FCD 15291 - Information technology - Programming
languages - Ada Semantic Interface Specification (ASIS) were completed
on 9 March 1998.

I am very pleased to inform you that ASIS had a successful ballot. ASIS
is now a registered Committee Draft and the ASIS Version with FCD
comments resolved will be a Draft International Standard (DIS). Fourteen
nations voted to Approve FCD 15291. These nations are: Belgium, Canada,
Czech Republic, Egypt, Finland, France, Ireland, Japan, Netherlands,
Norway, Russian Federation, UK, Ukraine, and USA. Four nations Abstained
and five nations did not vote. There were no ballots
voting to Disapprove.

Once we prepare the DIS and submit the resolution of comments, only one
more Ballot, the Final DIS (FDIS) Ballot,  is needed to turn ASIS into
an ISO Standard.

Two nations provided comments, Japan and the USA.  The Editorial
Comments resulting from SC22's Ballot are numbered from C#093 through
C#105. The Technical Issues are numbered from #082 through #093. More
details on the ISO standardization of ASIS are available on the ASIS
Home Page =>

            http://www.acm.org/sigada/WG/asiswg

by following the link for "Details are available." The editorial
comments and technical issues can be found by following the link to ISO
Working Draft. ASIS Tutorial information is available on the ASIS Home
Page as well. Mr. Clyde Roby has done an excellent job updating the ASIS
Home Page with all the updated information concerning the successful
ASIS FCD Ballot.

The thirteen editorial comments will be resolved by the ASIS Technical
Editors, Mr. Clyde Roby and Mr. Steve Blake. The technical issues will
be resolved by the asis-technical mailing list. If you are interested in
participating in the resolution of the SC22 technical issues and are not
on asis-technical, you may join by sending email to =>

        asis-technical-request@sw-eng.falls-church.va.us.

Thank you all for making this happen!!!!

v/r
Currie Colket
Chair ASISWG/Chair ASISRG
colket@acm.org
+1 (703) 242-4561
(end of quote)

* Re: ASIS for GNAT
@ 1998-04-20  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1998-04-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nigel asks

<<Can anyone give me pointers on where to find the latest public version of
ASIS-for-GNAT. I am doing some research in automated test-data generation
for Ada programs and currently rely on using the internal GNAT semantic
tree. Obviously using ASIS is the way to go. I would like to know how
complete the ASIS implementation is, which version of GNAT it works with,
and where to find it.

Also if the public release is a long way behind the supported release
information on the state of the supported release would also be useful.

In fact the public release of ASIS is quite a bit behind, but we expect
in the near future to make a coordinated public release of a more recent
version of GNAT and a matching ASIS. So if you can wait a little bit
you will be in better shape. For information on support of the commercial
versionb of GNAT and ASIS, send email to our sales department.

* Re: ASIS for GNAT
@ 1999-01-18  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-01-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nigel Tracey wrote in message <36A30C06.C901F699@cs.york.ac.uk>...
>Can anyone tell me if a new ASIS for GNAT be released at the same-point
>as the public release of GNAT 3.11? Also any news on how complete the
>ASIS implementation is? I cannot get the current ASIS-for-GNAT 3.09
>to compile for GNAT 3.10p and it also lacks some of the semantic
>queries that I require.
>
>I know timetables for public releases are not announced, but a while a
>ago somebody hinted 3.11p was in sight but it hasn't yet arrived. If
>its possible to give a hint are we talking weeks or months away?

Here is a posting by Robert Dewar on January 14, 1999:

In article <369CE5C0.8E7569C2@grep.net>,
  Paul Whittington <paul@grep.net> wrote:
> For the past few days ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat has
> returned an FTP
> Error indicating that the login failed.
>
> Is this a good sign, GNAT 3.11p is being put up, or a bad
> sign, GNAT 3.11p will never be available?

The NYU site has nothing to do with Ada Core Technologies,
except that it is where we historically put our initial
public releases for mirrors to operate. I have no trouble
reaching this site, so it is likely that you have a problem
at your end.

The 3.11p releases have now been frozen, including the NT
release, which was the last one. They should start
appearing next week, it will take a week or two for all
the ports to be available at NYU and the mirror sites.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: ASIS for GNAT
@ 1999-01-18  0:00   ` dewar
From: dewar @ 1999-01-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <yecwTPtQ#GA.233@pet.hiwaay.net>,
  "David C. Hoos, Sr." <david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com> wrote:

> The 3.11p releases have now been frozen, including the NT
> release, which was the last one. They should start
> appearing next week, it will take a week or two for all
> the ports to be available at NYU and the mirror sites.

By the way, I have heard that (rather incredibly to me)
some people have managed to interpret the last here
(referring to NT being the last 3.11p version to be
completed) to mean that ACT will not distribute any more
public releases after 3.11p. This is of course complete
nonsense. We remain committed to public releases, and
indeed we are already actively planning the 3.12 release!

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* ASIS for gnat
@ 2002-06-05  4:11 John M. Resler
From: John M. Resler @ 2002-06-05  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using Gnat 3.14p (20010503) for winnt and asis 2.0R (20010503) and
receiving a PROGRAM_ERROR exception raised with a incompatible versions
of ASIS and Gnat. I received the asis file from the cs.nyu.edu site
along with the gnat public compiler. Can anybody tell me if there are
known issues with the public versions of the compiler and asis
libraries? I had some difficulties with installation of the pro version
so I went home and tried with the public version and it seemed to work
and test ok. When I ran an actual asis script though, I received the
compatibility exception. Any ideas why 2 files according to the Readme
are supposed to be compatible and are not? I haven't seen anything on
the ftp site about compatibility issues.

-John

* Re: ASIS for gnat
@ 2002-06-05  7:30 ` Thomas Wolf
From: Thomas Wolf @ 2002-06-05  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

John-Resler@cox.net wrote:
> I am using Gnat 3.14p (20010503) for winnt and asis 2.0R (20010503) and
> receiving a PROGRAM_ERROR exception raised with a incompatible versions
> of ASIS and Gnat.

Insert a space in the GNAT version string in file gnat/gnatvsn.ads
in the ASIS sources such that it reads

Gnat_Version_String : constant String := "3.14p  (20010503)";

(with *two* spaces after "3.14p").

Then reinstall ASIS from scratch.

Thomas Wolf                          e-mail: t_wolf@angelfire.com

* Re: ASIS for gnat