From: "Robert I. Eachus" <rieachus@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Ada a fourth generation language?
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 14:07:08 GMT
Date: 2002-05-25T14:07:08+00:00	[thread overview]

Nick Roberts wrote:

> It is a fact that the earliest electronic programmable computers were
> programmed by arranging pegs in holes in certain circuit boards.
> (Programming all 10MB of Internet Explorer would presumably have taken a
> long time. :-)

I'm curious about which computers you had in mind.  The ENIAC used
rotary switches for programming, but theoretically patch panels for
arithmetic constants.  (A patch panel is a board with lots of holes, and
you insert wires with plugs on them. Individual patch panels can then be
stored and swapped.)  The reason I say theoretically is that ENIAC had
enough electronic registers that it was more efficient to copy any
constants into registers which could be accessed much more quickly.

The IBM 403 Accounting Machine, and later models used plugboards.  See
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/407.html for photographs of an IBM
407 and someone programming a plugboard.  IBM later introduced a
"programming language" RPG, which almost directly mapped to the
plugboards but was used on real computers like the IBM System/3.

There were early computers that used pegboards not wire plugboards for
programming.  The only one I remember was the Burroughs E101.