From: Jeffrey Carter <jrcarter@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Discriminated record question
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 18:12:40 GMT
Date: 2002-05-15T18:12:40+00:00	[thread overview]

Mark Doherty wrote:

> > > Does the compiler have the freedom to raise it as a
> > > Constraint_Error?
> >
> > Highly dubious if you ask me. Report it as a bug.
> >

> Rational responce was ...

[Justification deleted.]

> Seems like a weak justifcation to me!

This is a case of the compiler being "correct but irritating". This is
related to compilers that are "correct but useless". In the latter case,
saying "Thank you. Your compiler is correct, but is unsuitable for our
needs. We are therefore evaluating other compilers for our project."
generally gets the vendor to sing a different tune. If you can honestly
say this to your vendor you may suddenly find yourself possessed of an
update that raises Storage_Error. But since this is only irritating, not
useless, it may not be worth the effort.

--
Jeff Carter
"Go and boil your bottoms."