From: Michael Erdmann <Michael.Erdmann@snafu.de>
Subject: Re: Q: Generating Documenation from Ada Sources?
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 20:01:49 +0200
Date: 2002-05-14T20:01:49+02:00	[thread overview]

tmoran@acm.org wrote:
>>>conventions in coding style, so AdaBrowse+ can know which comments are
>>>"relevant".

>>currently playing around with certain heutistics based on a
>>minimal common sense snytax, e.g.
>

>   We went a different way, since most of the source files already
> existed, including customer's copies, and we didn't want to change
> them.  We have a database of information, for instance every entity
> has a Remarks section (which of course may be empty) and a Spec
> section.  Subprograms additionally have an Exceptions Raised section,
> and so forth.  These are filled in as much as possible by a program
> that scans source files for specs, links, comments saying "Raises ..."
> directly following a subprogram etc.  But this is viewed as just a
> convenience.  We expect most of the text to be entered, or at least
> modified by, a human writer.  Syntactic information like the file
> something is declared in, the package to "with" for it, any
> predefined constants of a type, etc comes from scanning the source
> code and is not modified by the documentation writer.
So you generated a templacte out of the source which might be
modified by the author.

May be this is one way to go. My Problem is that i like to make
it as easy as possible for an author to submit a package with
reasonable documentation. May be process could be like this:

Step 1 - Author presents package to the libary management
Step 2 - A tool is running over the software which generating a
          reasonable deocumentation skeleton.
Step 3 - Author updates the relevant sections
Step 4 - Final checkin, tooling checks  the contents of the
          documentation in the code and converts it to docbook!

Michael