From: "Marc A. Criley" <mcqada95@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: error analysis/handling/detecting/reporting/preventing/recovery/reproduce/debug
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 14:37:37 GMT
Date: 2002-03-30T14:37:37+00:00	[thread overview]

Jef Mangelschots wrote:

> I would like to start a discussion thread on the topic of error
> handling:
>
> Suppose you have just developed the first draft of your SW which only
> handles nominal cases.
> Suppose you are about to make the application more robust by going
> over your code again and
> modify it in order to:
>         - analyse
>         - detect
>         - handle
>         - report
>         - prevent
>         - recover
>         - reproduce
>         - debug
> errors/anomalies/faults which can be caused by:
>         - system failure
>         - bad user input
>         - programming failures
>         - bad design
>         - unexpected input data
>         - ...

If the first draft of your software is designed only to handle nominal
cases, then the only error error/anomaly/fault present is BAD DESIGN.
Error handling and recovery must be _designed_ into the system, even if
the actually implementation of the off-nominal recovery handling is
stubbed out for the first draft.

Marc A. Criley
Consultant
Quadrus Corporation