* Gnat Installation conflict on Linux
@ 2002-02-25 14:54 Nazgul
From: Nazgul @ 2002-02-25 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I'm installing Gnat 3.14p under slackware linux, via a .tgz

The problem is, if I install it under /usr/gnat, and insert /usr/gnat/bin in
front of the path, then when I want to use gcc to compile a .c file, for
example, then the /usr/gnat/bin 2.8.1 version is executed.

If I append /usr/gnat/bin at the end of the path, then the newer system
installed version of gcc (2.95) runs with the command 'gcc', but when I trie
to compile Ada with gnatmake, it doesn't work, gcc reports "No Ada compiler
installed on the system"

Any way to make them both work?

Thanks.

* Re: Gnat Installation conflict on Linux
@ 2002-02-25 15:03 ` Jean-Marc Bourguet
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean-Marc Bourguet @ 2002-02-25 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Nazgul" <darkelf@aim.homelinux.com> writes:

> If I append /usr/gnat/bin at the end of the path, then the newer system
> installed version of gcc (2.95) runs with the command 'gcc', but when I trie
> to compile Ada with gnatmake, it doesn't work, gcc reports "No Ada compiler
> installed on the system"

This option (putting the GNAT installation directory last) works for
me.  And looking at the content of the scripts which are installed
there, that's expected.

Yours,

--
Jean-Marc

* Re: Gnat Installation conflict on Linux
@ 2002-02-25 15:15   ` Nazgul
From: Nazgul @ 2002-02-25 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

darkelf@linux:~/pocha-1.11$ gnatmake jugador-ia
gcc -c jugador-ia.adb
gcc: jugador-ia.adb: Ada compiler not installed on this system
gnatmake: "jugador-ia.ali" WARNING: ALI or object file not found after
compile
gnatmake: "jugador-ia.adb" compilation error

That's what I get with GNAT installation directory at the end of the path. I
think the gcc gnatmake runs is the one in /usr/bin instead of /usr/gnat/bin

if I run manually /usr/gnat/bin/gcc -c jugador-ia.adb it works fine.

So, what am I doing wrong? Thanks

@ 2002-02-25 18:03 ` rhaper
From: rhaper @ 2002-02-25 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

The way I handle this problem is by locally redefining the PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables at the top of my Ada makefiles to place the GNAT
directories ahead of the usual gcc direcories.  This way my Ada makefiles
see the GNAT versions and all of my other makefiles see the normal default
gcc versions.

* Re: Gnat Installation conflict on Linux
@ 2002-02-26  6:08 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2002-02-26  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Nazgul" <darkelf@aim.homelinux.com> writes:

> The problem is, if I install it under /usr/gnat, and insert
> /usr/gnat/bin in front of the path, then when I want to use gcc to
> compile a .c file, for example, then the /usr/gnat/bin 2.8.1 version
> is executed.

You might take a look at http://www.pushface.org/gnatfe/

* Re: Gnat Installation conflict on Linux
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-03-20 16:16 ` lode_leroy at hotmail dot com
From: lode_leroy at hotmail dot com @ 2002-03-20 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: darkelf

Hi,

I had similar problems... the problem is that the tgz version is
replacing gcc. The RPM version is compiled differently, it's called
gnatgcc (or so).

My solution is to put /usr/gnat/bin in the beginning of the path,
in the .bashrc for my "ada" account, and leave the other accounts as is.
This allows 'root' to compile other stuff with gcc-2.9.x...

-- lode
Using slackware 8.0 !
PS: you might want to upgrate to emacs21.1 from slackware.com - current

@ 2002-03-20 17:29   ` Radu Stefanescu
From: Radu Stefanescu @ 2002-03-20 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I currently have an alias A="export PATH=/usr/local/gnat/bin:$PATH" ...

Regards,
Radu

--
Radu Stefanescu