* gtkada newbie scope advice pls
@ 2002-03-19  0:24 Pheet
From: Pheet @ 2002-03-19  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi ppl, I hope someone can advise me on the following:

I've installed the windows port of gtkada (1.3.12), and after a bit of
persuasion have got gate to work.  I'm using glade without any probs.

Gate is producing my project files, e.g.:

project.adb
project_intl.adb
project_intl.ads
callbacks_project.ads
callbacks_project.adb
main_window_pkg.ads
main_window_pkg.adb
main_window_pkg-callbacks.ads
main_window_pkg-callbacks.adb

Now, where do i put my code for the functionality of the program? The
procedures in the main_window_pkg-callbacks body need to be able to
"see" my core program data and procedures.  Do I:

a) Place all my program code in the main window callbacks package body?
(Though I anticipate trouble l8r on when I start adding dialogues and
other windows)

b) Cut'n'paste the generated code into 1 program to avoid scope issues?
(My lecturers will love me for that!)

c) Make my program code in to a package with memory and With...Use that
in the callback bodies???

d) None of the above!

I've only being learning Ada for a couple of months and not having any
*nix/gtk/c background is hindering my comprehension of the gtk
documentation.

Any advice, hints, pointers, etc. will be gratefully appreciated,

TIA,

Pheet

* Re: gtkada newbie scope advice pls
@ 2002-03-19  0:37 ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2002-03-19  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pheet wrote:
> Any advice, hints, pointers, etc. will be gratefully appreciated,

First advice is to run over to http://libre.act-europe.fr and check out
what's on the page about GTKAda, and especially to join the GTKAda
mailing list (link is on the site).

Roughly, you'll want the callback package routines to reference other
packages that implement the application functionality.

Take a look at the sample programs (under "Examples"), including
testgtk, that come with the source distribution.

- Ed

* Thank you for gtkada newbie scope advice
@ 2002-03-19  1:53   ` Pheet
From: Pheet @ 2002-03-19  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ed Falis wrote:

> First advice is to run over to http://libre.act-europe.fr and check out
> what's on the page about GTKAda, and especially to join the GTKAda
> mailing list (link is on the site).

Have done, though the mailing list seems to be more advanced topics.

> Roughly, you'll want the callback package routines to reference other
> packages that implement the application functionality.

Excelent, I'm on the right track now. Thank you!

> Take a look at the sample programs (under "Examples"), including
> testgtk, that come with the source distribution.

Will do, though its a bit bewildering at first.

I'm on a very steep learning curve at the moment! Thanks again for your
help,

Pheet