From: Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com>
Subject: Re: Copyright, Licensing etc.
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 02:57:07 GMT
Date: 2002-03-17T02:57:07+00:00	[thread overview]

sk wrote:
> 1) That I do not "offend" the original author

This is nice, but strictly unnecessary under the GPL.

> 2) That I do not infringe upon the original copyright and
>    licensing.
> 3) That I properly cover any loop-holes and keep the
>    derivation within the same GPL license.

Simple enough - just distribute under the GPL!

> Do I in fact have any copyrights to the derivation ?

Under US law, yes. As a translator, you have copyright to
the translated work. The original author *also* has copyright
to the translated work, so in order to distribute it, you
would need permission from him. The GPL gives you this
permission.

You are doing exactly what the GPL was designed to permit,
and by releasing the work under the GPL, the original author
has given you permission to do this. Go forth bravely!