From: Wes Groleau <wesgroleau@despammed.com>
Subject: Re: DNS or IP ident
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:57:08 -0500
Date: 2002-03-13T08:57:08-05:00	[thread overview]

> Way #2342: Write your own crippled client-server-app. It is nothing
> more than opening a socket and the server should tell you the remote IP.

Thanks, Adrian.  I could end up doing that, but
I was trying to avoid doing something that (may
have been) already done.  Your other suggestions
sound good, and I will study them further.

"Tech support" is me and my iMac and OS X....

The "client" is my 71-year-old father who got conned into buying
Windows XP for the first computer he ever had.  He doesn't
type, has no practice with a mouse, and doesn't know "window"
from "rectangle on the screen with stuff inside."  Considerable
confusion reigned for a few minutes when I said cursor (meaning
text insertion point) and they thought I meant "the little arrow
that moves when you move the mouse."  They finally downloaded
their e-mail last night after having the computer for four weeks
and being on the phone with me for seven plus hours (not all at once).

By the way, they have a supposedly new Earthlink account,
they've only given the address to less than ten close relatives,
they've sent out e-mails only to those relatives, yet their first
download was 65 messages, sixty of them porno or get-rich spams.

But I'm wondering off of our Ada topic.....

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau