From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Ada tasks: processes or threads
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 03:13:32 GMT
Date: 2002-03-13T03:13:32+00:00	[thread overview]

Frank Christiny wrote:

>       Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me, from a cursory
>    research on the subject, that it depends entirely on the compiler, not
>    the programmer, as to whether Ada tasks are spawned as child
>    processes or as threads.  For example, DEC's Ada 3.5 for OpenVMS

For that matter, every Ada task can be simulated within a single OS
process (and thread). In fact, that would probably be easier for a
compiler to do than putting them in separate processes. I've worked with
different compilers that took each approach.

>        What I am trying to discern is whether my version of Ada95,
>    PowerAda 3.1, can do multithreading in the multithreaded
That's a question for your vendor (or their docs).