From: Adrian Hoe <byhoe@greenlime.com>
Subject: License issues, LGPL, GMGPL (was Re: Any Ada Genetic Algorithm?)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:00:54 +0800
Date: 2002-03-12T10:00:54+08:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison wrote:

> If you are going to release the sources to build a link library (a
> "libXXX.a") then the LGPL is an appropriate license. If instead you
> are releasing sources that will be "with"ed and compiled along with
> the user's sources, the LGPL is *not* an appropriate license. You
> should probably use one of the following:
>
> GPL if you don't mind users having to also use the GPL when they
> distribute their code.
>
> Public Domain if you don't mind the possiblity of some users taking
> your sources, modifying them slightly, and charging for licenses to
> the result.
>
> GMGPL (Gnat-modified GPL), if you want your sources to remain
> freely-licensed, but don't want that to affect sources that "with"
> them and are compiled with them.
>
> In most cases, I pick the GMGPL.
>
> --
> T.E.D.
> Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)
> Homepage -  http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html

Thanks Ted, I have been puzzled by these licensing terms and vaguely
understand them (this is the first time I have used them (GMGPL) to
release sources of some of my work).

This post serve well for the record of cla archives. If you agree, I
like to put them up at my website. Just e-mail me.

also, there is an organization to shepherd the GPL licensing. Is there
any similar organization to shepherd licensing terms in Ada community
(eg. for GMGPL)?
--
                                       -- Adrian Hoe
                                       -- http://adrianhoe.com