* connecting to a Database
@ 2002-03-09 21:40 Declan Newman
From: Declan Newman @ 2002-03-09 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could anyone shed some light on how you can connect to a database using Ada.
I may well be over complicating matters but I've been unable to find any
documentation on the web at all.
Will I need third party packages? Will I be able to use Micro$oft Access?
(not through choice)
If anyone can help I would be very gratefull, as I need to write a small
banking program for a University assignment.
Declan Newman.

* Re: connecting to a Database
@ 2002-03-09 22:57 ` Larry Kilgallen
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-03-09 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <a6dvgq$jfh$1@knossos.btinternet.com>, "Declan Newman" <dec@webdec.co.uk> writes:
> Could anyone shed some light on how you can connect to a database using Ada.
> I may well be over complicating matters but I've been unable to find any
> documentation on the web at all.

That depends entirely on the database and the operating system.
I won't bore you with accessing the Codasyl Oracle DBMS on VMS.
I presume somebody else will not bore you with some hierarchical
database for MVS.  If you won't look at the documentation for
the database system you are using, at least include identification
of it in your posts.

* Re: connecting to a Database
@ 2002-03-10  0:39 ` Chad R. Meiners
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Chad R. Meiners @ 2002-03-10  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

You will need to use some sort of third party package.  For an example of
how to use ODBC (and thus Access) look at

http://www.adapower.com/os/odbc.html

Their are also other package systems that also work, for example, GNADE
would be worth looking into at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnade/

DB access is really quite easy in Ada once you acquire and learn how to use
one of the many good DB interface packages available.
-CRM

"Declan Newman" <dec@webdec.co.uk> wrote in message
> Could anyone shed some light on how you can connect to a database using
Ada.
> I may well be over complicating matters but I've been unable to find any
> documentation on the web at all.
> Will I need third party packages? Will I be able to use Micro$oft Access?
> (not through choice)
> If anyone can help I would be very gratefull, as I need to write a small
> banking program for a University assignment.
> Declan Newman.

* Re: connecting to a Database
@ 2002-03-10 14:26   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-03-10 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chad R. Meiners" <crmeiners@hotmail.com> writes:

> You will need to use some sort of third party package.  For an example of
> how to use ODBC (and thus Access) look at
>
> http://www.adapower.com/os/odbc.html

For ODBC I have also a small hight level binding. See my homepage.

Pascal.

--|

* Re: connecting to a Database
@ 2002-03-10 18:38 ` Michael Erdmann
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Erdmann @ 2002-03-10 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe this helps:

   http://gnade.sourceforge.net/

Michael

Declan Newman wrote:

>Could anyone shed some light on how you can connect to a database using Ada.
>I may well be over complicating matters but I've been unable to find any
>documentation on the web at all.
>Will I need third party packages? Will I be able to use Micro$oft Access?
>(not through choice)
>If anyone can help I would be very gratefull, as I need to write a small
>banking program for a University assignment.
>Declan Newman.

* Re: connecting to a Database
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-03-10 18:39 ` Michael Erdmann
From: Michael Erdmann @ 2002-03-10 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe this helps:

   http://gnade.sourceforge.net/

Michael

Declan Newman wrote:

>Could anyone shed some light on how you can connect to a database using Ada.
>I may well be over complicating matters but I've been unable to find any
>documentation on the web at all.
>Will I need third party packages? Will I be able to use Micro$oft Access?
>(not through choice)
>If anyone can help I would be very gratefull, as I need to write a small
>banking program for a University assignment.
>Declan Newman.

* Re: connecting to a Database
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-03-10 18:40 ` Michael Erdmann
From: Michael Erdmann @ 2002-03-10 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

See http://gnade.sourceforge.net/

I think we provide most what you need!

Michael

Declan Newman wrote:
> Could anyone shed some light on how you can connect to a database using Ada.
> I may well be over complicating matters but I've been unable to find any
> documentation on the web at all.
> Will I need third party packages? Will I be able to use Micro$oft Access?
> (not through choice)
> If anyone can help I would be very gratefull, as I need to write a small
> banking program for a University assignment.
> Declan Newman.

* Re: connecting to a Database
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-03-21  2:15 ` Pheet
From: Pheet @ 2002-03-21  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Declan Newman wrote:

> Could anyone shed some light on how you can connect to a database using Ada.
> I may well be over complicating matters but I've been unable to find any
> documentation on the web at all.
> Will I need third party packages? Will I be able to use Micro$oft Access?
> (not through choice)
> If anyone can help I would be very gratefull, as I need to write a small
> banking program for a University assignment.
> Declan Newman.

Hi Declan,

Let us know how you go :-)

Pheet

* Re: connecting to a Database
@ 2002-03-21  7:41   ` Per Sandbergs
From: Per Sandbergs @ 2002-03-21  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi
Wy not have a look on
GNADE (GNat Ada Database Environment) project http://gnade.sourceforge.net/
And use ODBC therby disconnect your application from dependencies to a
specific database engine.

/Per Sandberg

"Pheet" <a.pheet@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> Declan Newman wrote:
> >
> > Could anyone shed some light on how you can connect to a database using
Ada.
> > I may well be over complicating matters but I've been unable to find any
> > documentation on the web at all.
> > Will I need third party packages? Will I be able to use Micro$oft
Access?
> > (not through choice)
> > If anyone can help I would be very gratefull, as I need to write a small
> > banking program for a University assignment.
> > Declan Newman.
>
> Hi Declan,
>
> Let us know how you go :-)
>
> Pheet

* Re: connecting to a Database
@ 2002-03-21  8:03   ` Frank Piron
From: Frank Piron @ 2002-03-21  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

if you are able to use ORACLE and if you want to
take advantage of the full db-Server including
writing server functions/packages in PL/SQL which is
much like ADA, then you should have a look at

http://members.tripod.com/vagul/adaoci.html

A thick binding to the ORACLE call interface.

have funfrank

Pheet schrieb:

> Declan Newman wrote:
> >
> > Could anyone shed some light on how you can connect to a database using Ada.
> > I may well be over complicating matters but I've been unable to find any
> > documentation on the web at all.
> > Will I need third party packages? Will I be able to use Micro$oft Access?
> > (not through choice)
> > If anyone can help I would be very gratefull, as I need to write a small
> > banking program for a University assignment.
> > Declan Newman.
>
> Hi Declan,
>
> Let us know how you go :-)
>
> Pheet

[-- Attachment #2: Visitenkarte f�r Frank Piron --]
[-- Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="frank.piron.vcf", Size: 350 bytes --]

begin:vcard
n:Piron;Frank
tel;fax:01212 - 5 - 156 - 91 - 472
tel;work:(0049)  (0)7665 939268
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.konad.de
org:KonAd GmbH;Software f�r Kontrolle und Administration
adr:;;In der Reis 5;March-Buchheim;BaW�;79232;Deutschland
version:2.1
email;internet:frank.piron@konad.de
title:Diplom Mathematiker
fn:Frank Piron