From: Gerald Kasner <Gerald.Kasner@Physik.Uni-Magdeburg.DE>
Subject: Re: SGI Ada95 compiler
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 12:07:07 +0100
Date: 2002-03-08T12:07:07+01:00	[thread overview]

> > I have searched the Google's archives and found lots of threads
> > talking about SGI Ada95.
> >
> > I am planning a project at this moment and I am thinking of getting
> > SGI workstation. And of course, I am going to use Ada for my project.
> >
> > My understanding from those threads is that SGI has been investing a
> > lot into Ada95 compiler and they even make their Ada to interoperate
> > well with their C/C++ libraries. And I also know that Ada can inherit
> > classes from C++ and vice versa. And I also learned that SGI Ada95 is
> > a port of GNAT (or actually GNAT). Can somebody confirm this?

Yes, it's GNAT. The packages are called gnat_dev.

> > Is code written for SGI Ada95 compilable using other Ada compilers
> > especially the C++/Ada inheritance things have been added by SGI?

Sorry, I never interfaced with C++.

> > Is there anyone using SGI Ada95 (I bet a handful of them)? Can you
> > share your experience using SGI Ada95? Is there any comparison charts
> > (sort of) for SGI Ada95 and other Ada95 compilers?

Never found that.

> > Where can I get more information about SGI Ada95? I have visited SGI's
> > Ada95 website and the information is limited there.

go to

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/search.cgi

then search for "gnat_dev"

You will find the documentation for SGI-Ada 1.4.2

> > Thanks.
>
> Is the compiler validated?

No. According to the documentation on the web, there are
problems with tasking.