From: "Joachim Schröer" <joachim.schroeer@dornier.eads.net>
Subject: JGnat support, was NetBeans and ADA?
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 15:06:22 +0100
Date: 2002-03-07T15:06:22+01:00	[thread overview]

Ingo Marks wrote:

> Sergey Koshcheyev <serko84@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I'd like to also offer my help, since I'm quite interested in Eclipse. I'm
>>currently investigating it, but I'm not an experienced programmer and it's
>>been a while since I looked at Java.
>>
>>Sergey.
>>

> Did you already take a look at JGNAT? You can compile ADA code into Java
> bytecode with it, so you don't need to code in Java anymore.
>
> http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada/compiler/gnat/distrib/jgnat/
>
> Ingo.

Hello,

I do not want to discourage anyone to use JGnat but there are some
drawbacks (see my post some days ago):

The current public version does only support j2sdk1.2 (currently we have
1.4.0). From ACT-Europe I got the information that JGnat will not be
maintained in future due to lack of customer interest.
We were interested in Ada -> Java technology that has future. Our
current project demands Java and we have a few hundred thousend loc of
(not very nice) Ada83. I would prefer a transition to Ada95 and a
parallel improvement of the code but we need an Ada95 to bytecode compiler.
Has anyone information about maintenance of other Ada->Java products
like Aonix ObjectAda/Averstars appletmagic or similar?

	J. Schr�er