From: Dave Poirier <instinc@users.sf.net>
Subject: Re: [OT] Gibson's vision of computer languajes
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 12:43:53 -0500
Date: 2002-03-05T12:43:53-05:00	[thread overview]

Pascal Obry wrote:
> Dave Poirier <instinc@users.sf.net> writes:
>

>>Well, I'm an assembly freak, and I must say that I pretty much agree with him
>><g>.  While assembly does create software that are small and fast, and can be
>>made as reliable as any other programming language (using proper development
>>techniques),
>>

> Of course "can be", I just can't resist... But you are certainly a far
> superior guy to achieve that, from which planet ?. BTW, "as reliable" for which
> size of projects (here on earth we have many programs with more that 100k lines
> of high level language), and for which cost ?
>
> Just a side note, I've done also lots of assembly, just that in my field
> (Information Systems) I do not see assembly as a possible choice :)
>
> Pascal.

Oh, don't get me wrong, for any commerically viable product of such
major size, assembly should be avoided except where you require really
tight loop.  But if you are simply a computer passionate who create on
his free time, then assembly can certainly be used for any sized
project.

Software reliability in any programming language doesn't come by itself,
but by an entire development process which include this never ending
serie of tests on each individual components then on those components
once put together.

I have programmed assembly in projects well over 25,000 lines of
without getting lost or more confused than when the project was
only 100 lines.  The key element is proper documentation and commenting,
which unfortunately most hobbyist asm developers nowadays seems to so
easily forget. 100k lines is certainly possible, even 200k lines if one
have sufficient time.

Again, all this is not necessarily, read most unlikely, the best choice.
HLL does provides many benefits when it comes to commercially viable
products, it lower the costs of production and maintenance, and open the
doors to larger pool of programmers.

In my opinion, Assembly is the best suited language for any project, but
our society is unfortunately based on money, and to be commercially
viable assembly must of then be traded for less human-time consuming
alternatives.

EKS - Dave Poirier