* Mil question.
@ 2002-02-26 16:03 Enrico A.
From: Enrico A. @ 2002-02-26 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ciao,
    I've a mini-question for each Ada-world guru in this Ng.
Is Ada used and highly requested in the Military and Aereospacial
(Nasa, Esa ecc...) world yet?
Ciao,
   Enrico B.A.

* Re: Mil question.
@ 2002-02-26 16:09 ` Nige
From: Nige @ 2002-02-26 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Enrico A." wrote:

> Ciao,
>     I've a mini-question for each Ada-world guru in this Ng.
> Is Ada used and highly requested in the Military and Aereospacial
> (Nasa, Esa ecc...) world yet?

I use it every day, and if you mean respected, then yes, I'd rather use
it than any other language.

Nige

* Re: Mil question.
@ 2002-02-26 16:10   ` Nige
From: Nige @ 2002-02-26 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nige wrote:

> "Enrico A." wrote:
> >
> > Ciao,
> >     I've a mini-question for each Ada-world guru in this Ng.
> > Is Ada used and highly requested in the Military and Aereospacial
> > (Nasa, Esa ecc...) world yet?
>
> I use it every day, and if you mean respected, then yes, I'd rather use
> it than any other language.

Sorry, I should add that I work for a UK defence company.

Nige

* Re: Mil question.
@ 2002-02-27  9:18 ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-02-27  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26 Feb 2002 08:03:32 -0800, muaddib@digibank.it (Enrico A.) wrote:

>Ciao,
>    I've a mini-question for each Ada-world guru in this Ng.
>Is Ada used and highly requested in the Military and Aereospacial
>(Nasa, Esa ecc...) world yet?

Ada is heavily used in ESA Projects. For example on Envisat-1 (to be
launched on Friday last time I looked) Ada was mandated by the prime
contractor (although there were get-out clauses when required). Most
of the instrument software is probably in Ada. The main instrument,
ASAR, that I worked on at Matra Marconi Space has pretty much all of
its software written in Ada.

ESA have put a lot of effort into development of Ada compilers and
helped fund the ATAC (Ada Tasking Co-Processor) which was designed
with Ada 83 and Mil-Std-1750 in mind to try to make it possible for
users of such low performance kit to be able to use tasking (in a
deterministic manner).

In aerospace, many engine management systems, flight computers and
avionic equipment is programmed in Ada, especially for military
systems (e.g. EuroFighter Typhoon, F22) and commercial airliners such
as the Boeing 777.

It is also used in the TGV somewhere and I believe there is a fair bit
in the London Docklands Light Railway.

* Re: Mil question.
@ 2002-02-27 13:24   ` Steve Sangwine
From: Steve Sangwine @ 2002-02-27 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:18:28 -0000, john.mccabe@emrad.ns.com (John
McCabe) wrote:

>On 26 Feb 2002 08:03:32 -0800, muaddib@digibank.it (Enrico A.) wrote:
>
>>Ciao,
>>    I've a mini-question for each Ada-world guru in this Ng.
>>Is Ada used and highly requested in the Military and Aereospacial
>>(Nasa, Esa ecc...) world yet?
>It is also used in the TGV somewhere and I believe there is a fair bit
>in the London Docklands Light Railway.

See http://www.adahome.com/Ammo/Success/tgv.html for details
of the TGV usage of Ada (in the TVM 430 signalling system, which is
safety critical).

Steve Sangwine.

* Re: Mil question.
@ 2002-02-27 17:53   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2002-02-27 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

John McCabe wrote:

> Ada is heavily used in ESA Projects. For example on Envisat-1 (to be
> launched on Friday last time I looked) Ada was mandated by the prime
> contractor (although there were get-out clauses when required). Most
> of the instrument software is probably in Ada. The main instrument,
> ASAR, that I worked on at Matra Marconi Space has pretty much all of
> its software written in Ada.

Ada is also used on the space shuttle and ISS.

> In aerospace, many engine management systems, flight computers and
> avionic equipment is programmed in Ada, especially for military
> systems (e.g. EuroFighter Typhoon, F22) and commercial airliners such
> as the Boeing 777.

Also Airbus A340.

> It is also used in the TGV somewhere and I believe there is a fair bit
> in the London Docklands Light Railway.

Also Paris Metro and New York City subway.

--
Jeffrey Carter

* Re: Mil question.
@ 2002-02-27 22:00 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2002-02-27 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Enrico A." wrote:

> Ciao,
>     I've a mini-question for each Ada-world guru in this Ng.
> Is Ada used and highly requested in the Military and Aereospacial
> (Nasa, Esa ecc...) world yet?
> Ciao,
>    Enrico B.A.

There's a good-sized list of military/commercial projects using Ada at

  http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html

Marc A. Criley
Consultant
Quadrus Corporation
www.quadruscorp.com

* Re: Mil question.
@ 2002-02-27 23:40   ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2002-02-27 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc A. Criley wrote in message <3C7D4A18.4420CD77@earthlink.net>...

>There's a good-sized list of military/commercial projects using Ada at
>
>  http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html

Also, look at "Ada at Work" on the AdaIC site:

    http://www.adaic.org/atwork/index.html

Each of the projects listed has an article associated.

       Randy Brukardt
       Technical Webmaster, Adaic.org

* Re: Mil question.
@ 2002-02-28  1:11   ` Alex P.
From: Alex P. @ 2002-02-28  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for offtopic. Looking at those links you've provided
NATO Artillery Ballistic Kernel
- software targeted to Windows NT.
I believe NT is one of the most reliable OS on market now,
just wondering which version or build of NT used in those
projects ? I've heard MSoft has version of NT for embedded
systems.

"Marc A. Criley" <mcqada95@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "Enrico A." wrote:
> >
> > Ciao,
> >     I've a mini-question for each Ada-world guru in this Ng.
> > Is Ada used and highly requested in the Military and Aereospacial
> > (Nasa, Esa ecc...) world yet?
> > Ciao,
> >    Enrico B.A.
>
> There's a good-sized list of military/commercial projects using Ada at
>
>   http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html
>
> Marc A. Criley
> Consultant
> Quadrus Corporation
> www.quadruscorp.com

* Re: Mil question.
@ 2002-02-28  6:30 Christoph Grein
From: Christoph Grein @ 2002-02-28  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tiger and NH90 embedded flight-resident SW uses Ada(83).
TATM (Tiger Aircrew Training Means, a simulator to be built) will rehost the
original SW and is going to use Ada95. There were (as expected) virtually no
problems when porting the code from Ada83 to Ada95.

* Re: Mil question.
@ 2002-02-28  7:32     ` Rob Veenker
From: Rob Veenker @ 2002-02-28  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

The NABK itself is not targeted to a specific OS. It is being used on
different platforms and distributed in Ada source only (as far as I cal
tell).

Rob Veenker
Dutch MoD

Alex P. <alexp@ica.net> schreef in berichtnieuws
Ptff8.218$Jw6.1610@news.bc.tac.net...
> Sorry for offtopic. Looking at those links you've provided
> NATO Artillery Ballistic Kernel
> - software targeted to Windows NT.
> I believe NT is one of the most reliable OS on market now,
> just wondering which version or build of NT used in those
> projects ? I've heard MSoft has version of NT for embedded
> systems.
>
> "Marc A. Criley" <mcqada95@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > "Enrico A." wrote:
> > >
> > > Ciao,
> > >     I've a mini-question for each Ada-world guru in this Ng.
> > > Is Ada used and highly requested in the Military and Aereospacial
> > > (Nasa, Esa ecc...) world yet?
> > > Ciao,
> > >    Enrico B.A.
> >
> > There's a good-sized list of military/commercial projects using Ada at
> >
> >   http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html
> >
> > Marc A. Criley
> > Consultant
> > Quadrus Corporation
> > www.quadruscorp.com

* Re: Mil question.
@ 2002-02-28 14:49     ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-02-28 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Alex P." <alexp@ica.net> wrote in message news:<Ptff8.218$Jw6.1610@news.bc.tac.net>...
> Sorry for offtopic. Looking at those links you've provided
> NATO Artillery Ballistic Kernel
> - software targeted to Windows NT.
> I believe NT is one of the most reliable OS on market now,
> just wondering which version or build of NT used in those
> projects ? I've heard MSoft has version of NT for embedded
> systems.

NT is one of the *only* OS's for PC's on the market now. Its very
reliable compared to unsafe OS's like DOS and Win9x, but I don't find
it any more reliable than any other modern OS. Perhaps a little less
so, but that's probably mostly due to all the different device drivers
it can run.

However, it is not suitable for real-time systems, which would
certianly rule it out for most things relating to artillery
ballistics. Perhaps you could use it to do some initial calculations.

Microsoft does sell an embedded NT, but it is not real-time. There are
some real-time OS's that work with NT (by taking control of the
machine each clock cycle, and giving it back to NT only when there are
no more RT tasks to run), but Microsoft itself doesn't make such a
thing. If you don't need to run a snazzy GUI or something like Office,
you might as well use a dedicated RTOS.

--
T.E.D.
Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)

* Re: Mil question.
@ 2002-02-28 20:12       ` Alex P.
From: Alex P. @ 2002-02-28 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Huh , I know some of those third-part realtime extensions for NT, but
still Ada real time extension won't make use of it ??? Like even if RT
extension allow 256 priority levels instead of only 32 available on NT, in
GNAT I will have something like Priority'Last = 32 ?? Is there any RT
extension for NT which allow to use Ada Annex D with it ?

@ 2002-02-28 22:52         ` Jim Rogers
From: Jim Rogers @ 2002-02-28 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you want a realtime OS with WIN32 compatible API try ETS.
ETS was developed by Pharlap, which was purchased by Venturcom.
ETS is supported by the Aonix Ada compiler. I believe GNAT also has
an ETS port.

Following is an excerpt from the ETS description at www.pharlap.com.

" TNT Embedded ToolSuite (ETS) is a complete embedded development
environment for Intel's 32-bit x86 processors, featuring a
Windows-friendly realtime operating system (RTOS), the Realtime ETS
Kernel. The Realtime ETS Kernel was built from the ground up to meet the
requirements of industrial-strength embedded applications. Based on a
Phar Lap-defined subset of the Win32 API, the Realtime ETS Kernel
provided unequaled hard realtime functionality in a Windows-friendly
package."

I have used this OS with the Aonix compiler. The combination works
very well. For instance, the number of tasks you can create is
limited only by the amount of memory on your system. Tasks and
protected objects work very well. You also get direct access to the
hardware, unlike the Microsoft NT systems.

Jim Rogers