From: Richard Riehle <richard@adaworks.com>
Subject: Re: Mainstream Ada
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 09:21:16 -0800
Date: 2002-02-23T17:14:20+00:00	[thread overview]

Al Mole wrote:

> Is Ada the right language ? Can it be sold mainstream ?

Once the reputation of a virtuous person is sullied by widespread
prevarication, it is difficult to overcome the public perception,
however wrong it may be.

Ada is the right language for many applications where dependability
is a key non-functional requirement.     At present, functional
requirements overshadow non-functional requirements in the world
of commercial software.   That is, features are easier to sell than
quality.   As the users of software products mature and become more
demanding, we may see quality issues become more important.
At present, the major purveyors of software products, especially
those who sell operating systems, have put "bells and whistles"
over quality.

The phenomenon is somewhat analogous to the carrot and stick
technique horse motivation.    We consumers are so fascinated
with the prospects of eating the carrot that we never quite get
it that the stick keeps it out of reach of our teeth.

Richard Riehle