From: Jerry Petrey <"jdpetrey<NOSPAM>"@west.raytheon.com>
Subject: Re: Operator question.
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:56:03 -0700
Date: 2002-02-14T12:56:03-07:00	[thread overview]

Wannabe h4x0r wrote:

> Alright, forgive me if this question seems dumb. I cant beleive I havent
> asked it before now.(or maybe I have and I just forgot.)
>
> What does the operator '=>' mean? I've been looking through my book
> "Programming in Ada95" but I cant seem to find it anywhere.
>
> I see it everywhere in Ada code. Maybe I'm just a slow learner.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chris

Actually Barnes first mentions the => (commonly called 'arrow') in his
section on array aggregates - he says it is akin to the 'pointing hand'
sign found in old railway timetables and used for indication directions.

Normally => is thought of as meaning 'gets' or 'becomes' as in the
subprogram call Foo (Value => X).  The formal parameter Value 'gets'
the actual parameter X and so forth.  In the case structure, it takes
on the 'pointing hand' analogy even better, i.e. 'for this case do this'.

Jerry
-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation, Guidance, & Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to reply