From: Richard Riehle <richard@adaworks.com>
Subject: Re: Silicon Valley techies suit up Army with sleeker gear
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:07:05 -0800
Date: 2002-02-11T06:00:21+00:00	[thread overview]

Jim Rogers wrote:

> This is a wonderful article. It gives support to the idea that
> off the shelf hardware and software is more reliable and better
> than Mil Spec hardware and software.

We must be a little careful about sour grapes.   Of course they used
a language other than Ada.   There is no Ada compiler available for
the CE operating system.   If there were, it would have been just as
successful, maybe even more so, than the language they used.

This is not a language issue.   It is a competency issue.   Apparently
the Raytheon engineers simply lacked the compentence to do the
job they were supposed to do.    Also,  the "old government programming
language" was probably Ada 83, not Ada 95.   I am often amazed to see how
many DoD contractors have still avoided upgrading their software
development processes to Ada 95 and still use Ada 83.

Richard Riehle