From: Charlie McCutcheon <charlie.mccutcheon@NOSPAMcompaq.com>
Subject: Re: DEC Ada and packages
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 08:44:42 -0500
Date: 2002-02-07T08:44:42-05:00	[thread overview]

> reading through the DEC Ada manuals and can't find anything.

The DEC Ada Language Reference Manaual (LRM) is based on the Ada 83
language standard.  The original standard's text was taken, and words were
added for Digital specific information (in blue/grey print, depending on
your copy of the manual).

You'd probably prefer a tutorial - this is instead a reference manual.
Note if you look for a better tutorial manual that DEC/Compaq Ada
is Ada 83, not Ada 95 (95 is the latest Ada language standard - you'd see
many new featues which aren't in Compaq Ada).

> %ADAC-E-CL_SPENOTFOU, (1) Specification for Powers not found in library

As pointed out in another reply, you're missing a package specification.  This
is
an Ada requirement, and is not specific to Compaq Ada.  The Ada language
standard requires that packages have specifications, and optionally package
bodies. The package specification is the global declaration which tells other
programers how to interface to your objects in the package which can be
hidden away from view in the package body.

> Then call it from another file with a Proceedure.

Note that Compaq Ada compiles programs in files into compilaiton units in the
program library.  This is terminology, but the files where you write the code
aren't as significant as the compilation unit.  You can write code for
procedures
X, Y, Z and put them in file A.TXT and compile them.  We suggest putting them
in their own files, such as X.ADA, Y.ADA, Z.ADA, but you don't have to.

Other compilers, such as GNAT Pro require specific naming conventions
of files depending on the compilation units within (ie procedure X must be
in file X.ADB, ....).

Sorry for the lecture, but you appear to be new to Ada...  Been a long time
since I've explained any of this...  8-)

Charlie
Compaq Ada