* Re: Object Pascal (Delphi) or ADA???????
@ 2002-02-04 21:04 ` Preben Randhol
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-02-04 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4 Feb 2002 21:14:01 GMT, JOL wrote:

http://www.adapower.com/what.html

--
Preben Randhol         �For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.�

* Object Pascal (Delphi) or ADA???????
@ 2002-02-04 21:14 JOL
From: JOL @ 2002-02-04 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Object Pascal (Delphi) or ADA???????
@ 2002-02-04 22:23 Gautier Write-only-address
From: Gautier Write-only-address @ 2002-02-04 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

JOL:

>Subject: Object Pascal (Delphi) or ADA???????

Good question he-he. No surprise, you'll find on
this newsgroup recommendations for the second...
Note that some people here have programmed much in
various Borland Pascals, and prefer Ada for two main
reasons
  - standardized language: you don't depend anymore
    on Borland (several compilers, plenty of platforms)
  - much more powerful, even though with maybe less sexy
    packagings

A "bit" about it there
  http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/gdm/pascada.htm

Happy programming!

* Re: Object Pascal (Delphi) or ADA???????
@ 2002-02-04 23:00 ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2002-02-04 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ada. Why do you ask?

--
Jeffrey Carter

* Re: Object Pascal (Delphi) or ADA???????
@ 2002-02-05  4:20 ` Patrick Hohmeyer
From: Patrick Hohmeyer @ 2002-02-05  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

And JOL wrote :

First : Asking this on comp.lang.ada is likely to give biased answers ;-)

Second : What for ? Every language has it's own strenght, so one
can only give a general answer, that may be completly wrong in your case.
(In general, I would prefer Ada)

--
Patrick Hohmeyer

* Re: Object Pascal (Delphi) or ADA???????
@ 2002-02-05  5:54   ` Al Christians
From: Al Christians @ 2002-02-05  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've done some fair amount of each.  I like them both.

If you want to write code, get it right, and keep it going for
some years, Ada is very good. If you want to be more of a systems
integrator than programmer, assemble relatively cheap (comes
with it or free to $1000), reasonable quality third-party components
into a Windows app, Delphi is very good.  If your app is big enough
to have some substantial amount of GUI and database (Delphi is good
at these) or other things you can buy easily in Delphi, and some
substantial amount of programming of various processes or algorithms
that you can't acquire somewhere,  it might be big enough for both
languages.

Delphi is favored if time-to-market is key and the amount and
complexity of coding to be done are not high.  Ada is favored if
a long or very long lifecycle is intended or much custom coding
is required.

Al

Patrick Hohmeyer wrote:

> And JOL wrote :
>
> First : Asking this on comp.lang.ada is likely to give biased answers ;-)
>
> Second : What for ? Every language has it's own strenght, so one
> can only give a general answer, that may be completly wrong in your case.
> (In general, I would prefer Ada)
>
> --
> Patrick Hohmeyer

* Re: Object Pascal (Delphi) or ADA???????
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-02-06  3:28 ` Steve Doiel
From: Steve Doiel @ 2002-02-06  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why not use both?  That's what we do.

When it comes to putting together a user interface it's hard to beat
productivity you can achieve with Delphi.  But if you need to do much behind
that pretty face, Delphi doesn't help to keep you from falling into traps
like Ada does.

I've done some experimentation with a few of the GUI builders for Ada.  To
date I haven't seen anything that holds a candle to Delphi for ease of
puting together a user interface on Windows.

My second choice would probably be GWindows, which doesn't currently include
a GUI builder, but does provide a nice model for programming windows that
allows you to avoid getting into the grubby details.

I have had success using Delphi as a front end with Ada code in DLL's.

SteveD

@ 2002-02-06 18:16   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2002-02-06 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Until I wrote GWindows, I frequently used Delphi or VB combined with Ada.

If you use GNATCOM to create a Ada COM object, it is unbelievably easy to
use it from any other language or environment including Delphi, VB, VC++, or
anything on .NET.

There are examples of using VB for a front end in the GNATCOM package, but
it is just as easy to do so using Delphi.

If you are writing a professional application using Ada and GNATCOM you get
all the advantages of Ada plus the availability of world class support from
ACT that you are not going to find with any other language or vendor.

Using GWindows, I frequently find my self as productive as I was with Delphi
particularly if the GUI is side of things is dynamic. The Database support
for controls in GWindows is worth taking a look at also.

The GWindows/GNATCOM/GNAT combination is only around 6 months of full time
work behind Delphi v3 level of productivity and functionality (almost all of
which is really just on the GUI builder side as the combination is already
as powerful and functional as VB, VC++, C++ Builder or Delphi). Work is
being done on GWindows, but lately the pace is a bit sluggish, but it is
moving.

David Botton