* gnat for alpha linux
@ 2002-01-28 22:47 Ian S. Nelson
From: Ian S. Nelson @ 2002-01-28 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: gnat for alpha linux
@ 2002-01-29  5:43 ` David Starner
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Starner @ 2002-01-29  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:47:53 GMT, Ian S. Nelson <nelsonis@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know where I could get a copy of gnat for Linux under Alpha
> AXP. As I understand it, I need one to bootstrap a gcc 3.1 snapshot.

You only need one to bootstrap a gcc 3.1 snapshot if you build Ada. As
it is, there's not one available - if you want Gnat for Alpha Linux
you're going to have to cross-compile it yourself.

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu, dvdeug/jabber.com (Jabber)
What we've got is a blue-light special on truth. It's the hottest thing

* Re: gnat for alpha linux
@ 2002-01-29 15:59   ` Ian S. Nelson
From: Ian S. Nelson @ 2002-01-29 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: gnat for alpha linux
@ 2002-01-29 16:19 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2002-01-29 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian S. Nelson wrote:

> Does anyone know where I could get a copy of gnat for Linux under Alpha
> AXP.  As I understand it, I need one to bootstrap a gcc 3.1 snapshot.

I don't think anybody has compiled GNAT for Linux/Alpha yet.
I have two Alpha machines running Linux in my office, so I
would appreciate to hear from you, if you get your hands on
a working GNAT for Linux/Alpha.

Jacob
--
http://www.ldraw.org/download/start/linux/
                           Kom i gang med LEGO CAD p� Linux.

* Re: gnat for alpha linux
@ 2002-01-29 17:13   ` Ian S. Nelson
From: Ian S. Nelson @ 2002-01-29 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: gnat for alpha linux
@ 2002-01-30 18:22 ` Dr. Adrian Wrigley
From: Dr. Adrian Wrigley @ 2002-01-30 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I built the Alpha Linux/x86 GNAT cross compiler over two years ago.

The sources (3.11p(?)) compiled with a few relatively simple modifications.
The compiled code would operate OK in very simple cases.  More complex
code would crash somewhere in the runtime (IIRC).

Unfortunately, I never investigated the crashes, because I left the company
which was wanting the work.

My current project would benefit by using a 64-bit architecture, since the
32-bit GNAT versions have issues with large records (>256MB), and my
Ada code is also hitting the memory limits on 32-bit.  If someone
does do a port, I'm interested to hear about it.

I would like to offer my help in the project, but I don't have any Alpha
hardware at the moment (because it doesn't support Ada...), and I am a
bit hazy on what the hacks were to get it to compile.
--
Dr Adrian Wrigley
Cambridge, England.

* Re: gnat for alpha linux (follow up)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-02-06 19:36 ` Ian S. Nelson
From: Ian S. Nelson @ 2002-02-06 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: gnat for alpha linux (follow up)
@ 2002-02-07 14:57   ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-02-07 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ian S. Nelson" <nelsonis@earthlink.net> writes:

> Okay, I've got the cross compiler building stuff but it didn't/doesn't
> build libgnat.  Any tips on building that?

Here are the steps I use to build a gnat cross:

    cd ~/ST5/Tools
    mkdir build-mips-rtems-ada
    cd build-mips-rtems-ada
    ../gcc-2.8.1/configure --prefix=/home/stephe/ST5/Ada_Install --target=mips-rtems --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --enable-languages=c,ada

    ~/ST5/Tools/build-mips-rtems-ada/Makefile :
        make CFLAGS="-O2 -g" all
            # CFLAGS drops -Wall from default; lots of bogus warnings in Ada compiler

        make CFLAGS="-O2" GNATLIBCFLAGS="-O2 -I/home/stephe/ST5/C_Tools/mips-rtems/include" gnatlib
            # extra -I is for sys/types.h etc
        make CFLAGS="-O2" cross-gnattools
        make CFLAGS="-O2" ada.all.cross

        make install

This list was derived partly from help from ACT, partly from black
magic. You are entitled to wear a wizard's cap after you get this
working :).

> I want to build a simple helloworld.adb before I start trying to
> build a whole compiler.

I'm not sure there's much difference. Assuming you use Ada.Text_IO in
helloworld, that's pretty much the whole compiler and run-time
library; it doesn't come in smaller pieces.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: gnat for alpha linux (follow up)
@ 2002-02-07 15:35     ` Ian S. Nelson
From: Ian S. Nelson @ 2002-02-07 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:
> "Ian S. Nelson" <nelsonis@earthlink.net> writes:
>

>>Okay, I've got the cross compiler building stuff but it didn't/doesn't
>>build libgnat.  Any tips on building that?
>>

> Here are the steps I use to build a gnat cross:
>
>     cd ~/ST5/Tools
>     mkdir build-mips-rtems-ada
>     cd build-mips-rtems-ada
>     ../gcc-2.8.1/configure --prefix=/home/stephe/ST5/Ada_Install --target=mips-rtems --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --enable-languages=c,ada
>
>     ~/ST5/Tools/build-mips-rtems-ada/Makefile :
>         make CFLAGS="-O2 -g" all
>             # CFLAGS drops -Wall from default; lots of bogus warnings in Ada compiler
>
>         make CFLAGS="-O2" GNATLIBCFLAGS="-O2 -I/home/stephe/ST5/C_Tools/mips-rtems/include" gnatlib
>             # extra -I is for sys/types.h etc
>         make CFLAGS="-O2" cross-gnattools
>         make CFLAGS="-O2" ada.all.cross
>
>         make install
>
> This list was derived partly from help from ACT, partly from black
> magic. You are entitled to wear a wizard's cap after you get this
> working :).
>

>>I want to build a simple helloworld.adb before I start trying to
>>build a whole compiler.
>>

> I'm not sure there's much difference. Assuming you use Ada.Text_IO in
> helloworld, that's pretty much the whole compiler and run-time
> library; it doesn't come in smaller pieces.

I have a Pentium executable that builds Alpha binaries.  I know the C
and C++ parts work right but I can't link an alpha binary on my pentium if
it's ada.   Then I wanted to cross compile (from pentium generate alpha) an
alpha compiler that generates alpha code.  I just want to see that I can
actually compile ada code before I start trying to build the whole compiler.

Thanks for the tips,  I'll beat on it some more.

Ian