* Re: AdaGIDE 6.43.1 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 95/98/NT/...)
@ 2002-01-24 19:26 Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2002-01-24 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> gautier_niouzes@hotmail.com 01/24/02 09:44AM >>>
AdaGIDE 6.43.1 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows 95/98/NT/...)

Great job Martin and Gautier!

I use AdaGIDE every day for quick programming even though I am not a
fan of Micro$oft Windows. In addition, I can check the LRM just by a
couple of clicks from AdaGIDE.

One thing I would like to improve is to extend the capability of Window
drop down menu. Currently, it is limited to only 9 files which can be
opened. The tenth file, eleventh file and on, could not be selected for
display using Window drop down menu. These files could only be selected
through More Windows... option. When More Window... option is selected,
a Select Window is displayed. I would to extend the Window drop down
menu limit to 50. I have been looking at the AdaGIDE source codes. So
far, I have not been able to locate the responsible codes.

Instead of spending much more time to locate the responsible codes, you
guys could show me which package (possible line numbers) in short order.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Anh Vo

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.43.1 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows95/98/NT/...)
@ 2002-01-30 11:17 ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 2002-01-30 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anh Vo wrote:

> One thing I would like to improve is to extend the capability of Window
> drop down menu. Currently, it is limited to only 9 files which can be
> opened. The tenth file, eleventh file and on, could not be selected for
> display using Window drop down menu. These files could only be selected
> through More Windows... option. When More Window... option is selected,
> a Select Window is displayed. I would to extend the Window drop down
> menu limit to 50. I have been looking at the AdaGIDE source codes. So
> far, I have not been able to locate the responsible codes.
>
> Instead of spending much more time to locate the responsible codes, you
> guys could show me which package (possible line numbers) in short order.
> Thanks in advance for your help.

The ten files is a limit from windows. AdaGide uses the MDI interface
which limits the "Window" menuentry to 9 plus "More window".

"Windows can add up to ten menu items to the Window menu. When the tenth
child window is created, Windows adds the More Windows item to the
Window menu. Choosing this item causes the Select Window dialog box to
appear. The dialog box contains a list box with the titles of all MDI
child windows currently available. The user can activate a child window
by choosing its title from the list box."

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.43.1 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows95/98/NT/...)
@ 2002-01-30 16:20   ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-01-30 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alfred Hilscher wrote:
> The ten files is a limit from windows. AdaGide uses the MDI interface
> which limits the "Window" menuentry to 9 plus "More window".

Nonsense.

<http://www.devx.com/premier/mgznarch/vcdj/1998/may98/window1.asp>

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.43.1 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows95/98/NT/...)
@ 2002-01-31 10:45     ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 2002-01-31 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> Alfred Hilscher wrote:
> > The ten files is a limit from windows. AdaGide uses the MDI interface
> > which limits the "Window" menuentry to 9 plus "More window".
>
> Nonsense.
>
> <http://www.devx.com/premier/mgznarch/vcdj/1998/may98/window1.asp>

Please read the Windows SDK-docu _carefully_.

You will find:

@ 2002-01-31 19:27       ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-01-31 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alfred Hilscher wrote:
> Please read the Windows SDK-docu _carefully_.
>
> You will find:
> "Windows can add up to ten menu items to the Window menu. When the tenth
> child window is created, Windows adds the More Windows item to the
> Window menu. Choosing this item causes the Select Window dialog box to
> appear. The dialog box contains a list box with the titles of all MDI
> child windows currently available. The user can activate a child window
> by choosing its title from the list box."

You can read the link I referenced earlier, or directly from MS,
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q99803>,
where you will find

	MDIWinMN.exe shows you how to limit the number of listed MDI children
	in the Window menu to any number and how to bring up a customized dialog
	box when the More Windows menu item is selected. This sample also shows
	how to list all the MDI children in the Window menu without using a
	More Windows menu item.

So it certainly can be done. Maybe now the OP can do it himself :-)

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.43.1 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows95/98/NT/...)
@ 2002-02-01 12:58         ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 2002-02-01 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> You can read the link I referenced earlier, or directly from MS,
> <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q99803>,
> where you will find
>
>         MDIWinMN.exe shows you how to limit the number of listed MDI children
>         in the Window menu to any number and how to bring up a customized dialog
>         box when the More Windows menu item is selected. This sample also shows
>         how to list all the MDI children in the Window menu without using a
>         More Windows menu item.
>
> So it certainly can be done. Maybe now the OP can do it himself :-)

I had a look at this site (your earlier link didn't work). What they
show is how "the application can handle" it: "Specify NULL as the Window
menu handle when creating the MDI client, because the application
handles all the processing of the Window menu: "

This is no contradiction to what I said: "Windows itself only shows nine
files". Ok, you are not limited to the use of windows default behaviour,
so you can overcome this limit - but _you_ have to handle it.

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.43.1 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows95/98/NT/...)
@ 2002-02-01 15:51       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-02-01 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alfred Hilscher <Alfred.Hilscher@icn.siemens.de> writes:

> Hyman Rosen wrote:
> >
> > Alfred Hilscher wrote:
> > > The ten files is a limit from windows. AdaGide uses the MDI interface
> > > which limits the "Window" menuentry to 9 plus "More window".
> >
> > Nonsense.
> >
> > <http://www.devx.com/premier/mgznarch/vcdj/1998/may98/window1.asp>
>
> Please read the Windows SDK-docu _carefully_.
>
> You will find:
> "Windows can add up to ten menu items to the Window menu. When the tenth
> child window is created, Windows adds the More Windows item to the
> Window menu. Choosing this item causes the Select Window dialog box to
> appear. The dialog box contains a list box with the titles of all MDI
> child windows currently available. The user can activate a child window
> by choosing its title from the list box."

Yes. And the web site cited above, if read _carefully_ and
_completely_, shows how to override this behaviour with your own
window menu manager.

So putting more than 10 items in the Window menu can be done, with
some work. Wether it's worth it is a separate question. I'd say no;
just use Emacs!

--
-- Stephe

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.43.1 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows95/98/NT/...)
@ 2002-02-01 19:03         ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-02-01 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:
> Yes. And the web site cited above, if read _carefully_ and
> _completely_, shows how to override this behaviour with your own
> window menu manager.

Of course, reading _carefully_ and _completely_ should be a snap
for Ada programmers, no? :-)

* Re: AdaGIDE 6.43.1 release (Ada GUI IDE for Windows95/98/NT/...)
@ 2002-02-01 19:09           ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-02-01 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alfred Hilscher wrote:
> This is no contradiction to what I said: "Windows itself only shows nine
> files". Ok, you are not limited to the use of windows default behaviour,
> so you can overcome this limit - but _you_ have to handle it.

True, but this behavior isn't really in "Windows itself". It's handled
by MFC, which are a set of classes which come bundled with the compiler,
with full source code. You are meant to override and modify MFC behavior
in ways appropriate and useful to your application.