From: Vincent Smeets <VSmeets@meppen.sema.slb.com>
Subject: Re: timed entry call doesnt timeout
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 07:20:36 +0100
Date: 2002-01-15T07:20:36+01:00	[thread overview]

Matthew Heaney wrote:

> "Vincent Smeets" <VSmeets@meppen.sema.slb.com> wrote in message
> > I am writing a driver for an network protocol which will send data and
> > wait for an acknowledgement. I have implemented it in a package (Pkt)
> > with a procedure interface. Inside this package, I use a protected type
> > and the requeue statement to implement an action with a timeout.
>
> Why are you making "potentially blocking" calls to Text_IO from inside a
> protected object?

The call to Text_IO is just for the demostroation in my example.

The point is that you can't see the use of my timed select statement at
the  outside of the package. There is no problem if it is called
externaly from the main program (it will give the timeout), but it may
not be called from a protected type (which will block forever).

--
Vincent Smeets
SchlumbergerSema -