From: Richard Riehle <richard@adaworks.com>
Subject: Re: Superassemblers: was Dimensionality Checking
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:06:22 -0800
Date: 2001-12-17T18:01:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"Alexandre E. Kopilovitch" wrote:

>   Now let's recall the fact that the Ada is not a problem-oriented language,
> but rather a "superassembler". It intentionally and carefully avoids all
> paradigms that aren't closely related to the real computer architectures or
> to the general software engineering, even if those paradigms are heavily used
> in some significant application area.

How do you characterize problem-oriented from superassembler?  Also,
is this bifurcated view just a little too large-grained to be truly useful.

Do  superassemblers include Java, C++, C#, COBOL, Fortran, and PL/I, and
Eiffel?  Can we say that those that are not superassemblers inlcude Haskell,
Lisp, APL,  Prolog, and OCAML?   And which ones are truly problem-oriented?

Richard Riehle