From: Darren New <dnew@san.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Basic Properties of Lists ("foreward")
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:59:46 GMT
Date: 2001-12-11T16:59:46+00:00	[thread overview]

Mike Brenner wrote:
> "Foreword" is a wonderful example of ambiguity in the English language. It seems to be saying "towards the fore or front", but it sometimes means "from the fore or front".

Actually, I still recommend the terminology from the EiffelBase
(www.eiffel.com) libraries. "Forth" and "Back", as in back and forth,
are the directions for one-dimensional traversal. There's a ton of good
terminology there.

> It is similar to situations like "is a North wind coming from the North or going towards the North", and is an inflammable pyjama "un-flame-able or is it enflame-able"?

Worse. One means it will catch on fire, and the other means it will
explode. (Inflamable and imflamable, that is.)

--
Darren New
   You will soon read a generic fortune cookie.