* Ada on NT
@ 2001-11-22 11:45 Siegfried Gonzi
From: Siegfried Gonzi @ 2001-11-22 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have downloaded (because it is not possible to find a Gnat-Ada for
SunOS 8) Gnat-Ada for Windows NT, but is this a joke or what should I do
with this distribution. Surely, it is free software but if it would be a
commercial version this would be un-acceptable.

There is even not a Readme included. It is nice that I get the Readmes
and manuals for the Unix version, but what may I have to do in order to
play around with the hello world?

There is no Windows specific documentation. Or do I have to download the
gcc-compiler separately? Is there a development environment included (I
do not like Emacs).

The following is maybe my setup (which I got after installing):

[Version]
Product=GNAT
GNAT=3.13p
GCC=2.8.1
Target=pentium-mingw32msv
TKVersion=8.0
[Components]
Setup=Typical
Win32Ada=1
Win32AdaHelp=1
GDB=1
AdaGIDE=0
Documentation=1
ObjUtils=1
Make=1
Sample=1
ExtraDoc=1
[Configuration]
TclAlreadyInstalled=0
Win32Ada=1
Win32AdaPrefix=Bindings\Win32Ada
DocPrefix=Documentation
AssocEMACS=0
AssocAdaGIDE=0
Folder=GNAT Ada 95 Compiler

S. Gonzi

* Re: Ada on NT
@ 2001-11-22 12:33 ` chris.danx
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: chris.danx @ 2001-11-22 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Siegfried Gonzi" <siegfried.gonzi@kfunigraz.ac.at> wrote in message
> I have downloaded (because it is not possible to find a Gnat-Ada for
> SunOS 8) Gnat-Ada for Windows NT, but is this a joke or what should I do
> with this distribution.

???

> Surely, it is free software but if it would be a
> commercial version this would be un-acceptable.

[GNAT public is much better than some commercial software I've used, and ppl
pay thousands for that commercial software]

The public versions of GNAT for Windows are really nice.  Click Click Click
and it's installed.  A few more clicks and your at the manuals, which are in
html (there are other formats in the 'documentation' directory).  It
includes the ARM, the UG & RM for the compiler and help files for GNATCOM
(if you install it) and Win32 to name a few.

> There is even not a Readme included.

No need for readme's as it's all in the manuals!!!

> It is nice that I get the Readmes
> and manuals for the Unix version, but what may I have to do in order to
> play around with the hello world?

Check the user guide for the compiler, hello world is there in all it's
glory.

> There is no Windows specific documentation.

Nonsense!  Check the compiler manuals.  It includes how to build dlls,
interface with them, and a whole load of other things you might want to do
on windows.

> Or do I have to download the
> gcc-compiler separately?

No.  Gcc is part of the distribution.

> Is there a development environment included (I
> do not like Emacs).

Maybe GNAT comes with an IDE on windows, I haven't noticed (maybe you get
one with GNAT Pro but not many hobbiests can afford that), but there is
AdaGIDE which you can get from running a search on google (don't have the
link at hand, sorry).  It's a good tool for many things.

RTFM
Chris

* Re: Ada on NT
@ 2001-11-22 12:39 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-11-22 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:45:14 +0100, Siegfried Gonzi wrote:
> I have downloaded (because it is not possible to find a Gnat-Ada for
> SunOS 8) Gnat-Ada for Windows NT, but is this a joke or what should I do
> with this distribution. Surely, it is free software but if it would be a
> commercial version this would be un-acceptable.

First why do you use NT and not linux when you are used to Sun OS?
Second instead of this slander could you perhaps explain what is your
problem exactly?

> There is even not a Readme included. It is nice that I get the Readmes
> and manuals for the Unix version, but what may I have to do in order to
> play around with the hello world?

Bullshit! I have Gnat on a windows machine. Installed it under C:\GNAT
and in the directory C:\GNAT\Documentation I find both the Gnat
User Guide and Gnat Reference Manual and Ada 95 Refrence Manual.

If you want to learn Ada 95 then go to http://www.adapower.com and click
the Learn Ada button and read one of the on-line books or buy a book.

> There is no Windows specific documentation. Or do I have to download the
> gcc-compiler separately? Is there a development environment included (I
> do not like Emacs).

Go here:

   http://home.trouwweb.nl/Jerry/compilers.html

I think you need AdaGide.

Preben
--
 ()   Join the worldwide campaign to protect fundamental human rights.
'||}

* Re: Ada on NT
@ 2001-11-22 12:56 ` Michal Nowak
From: Michal Nowak @ 2001-11-22 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I have downloaded (because it is not possible to find a Gnat-Ada for
>SunOS 8) Gnat-Ada for Windows NT, but is this a joke or what should I do
>with this distribution.

I found it very useful and functional. What a joke? Tell us all,
we will laugh with you if it is good enough.

>There is even not a Readme included. It is nice that I get the Readmes
>and manuals for the Unix version, but what may I have to do in order to
>play around with the hello world?
>
>There is no Windows specific documentation.

If there are no links in your menu start there is Win32ada.hlp file in
[GNAT-DIR]\Bindings\Win32ada\Help\win32ada.hlp
Or you mean something else?

There is also Ada Reference Manual, user's guide, GNAT reference
manual and some more in [GNAT-DIR]\Documantation directory in
various formats. Hope this will be helpful.

Want some more?

>Is there a development environment included (I do not like Emacs).

No it is not included, but you may download some IDE for GNAT:
AdaGIDE: http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html

GNATIDE: ftp://ftp.brighton.ac.uk/pub/je/
(look for gnidexx.zip)

ConTEXT: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
(you may customize it to work as IDE), there is also syntax highlighter
for Ada, thanks to Chris Danx),

GRASP: http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/grasp_main.shtml

and some others somewhere, try to seek.

Try to start to like GNAT, it is really nice, useful, fuctional, etc....
It will not make yourself a whole  program, but it is programmer's task, isn't it?

-Mike
                             ____|
                             \%/ |~~\
  O                                  |
 o>>        Mike Nowak               |
 T                                   |
/ >       vinnie@inetia.pl           |
http://www.geocities.com/vinnie14pl _|__

* Re: Ada on NT
@ 2001-11-22 13:52   ` Siegfried Gonzi
From: Siegfried Gonzi @ 2001-11-22 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal Nowak wrote:

> >I have downloaded (because it is not possible to find a Gnat-Ada for
> >SunOS 8) Gnat-Ada for Windows NT, but is this a joke or what should I do
> >with this distribution.
>
> I found it very useful and functional. What a joke? Tell us all,
> we will laugh with you if it is good enough.

There are two possibilities:

a) You can laugh, because you think I am a fool

b) I do not laugh anymore after this installation-nightmare

> Try to start to like GNAT, it is really nice, useful, fuctional, etc....
> It will not make yourself a whole  program, but it is programmer's task, isn't it?

I would really like to start programming in Ada ( at home I have installed Ada83 for
the Macintosh and what I have seen thus far has been not too bad at all; it seems Ada
is well suited for numerical analysis; as an academic user I use programming only for
that sort of tasks).

But it seems that the Windows version (no, I plan not to start to install Linux/BSD; I
do not have enough time to foster these user-unfriendly systems) impedes my plan:

Question 1: After downloading the Gnat-compiler and unzipping it I have installed it
(administrator rights have been required).

Question 2: I want to make the hello-world example

Question 3: It seems before question 2 can be performed I have to build Ada for NT,
okay:

Question 4: (an citation from the Win32 binding section):

-Open a DOS command window.
-Run the SETPATH.BAT command from the directory where GNAT is installed.
- \win32ada\setpath (first edit \win32ada\setpath.bat if you are using gnat 3.08)
- cd \win32ada\src
- copy gnat\*.*
-gnatmake withall (ignore error messages at link time)  (Optionally)

My windows experience is dated back to 1995 and I am not sure what setpath.bat is, but
this script is not available (with the Gnat distribution).

S. Gonzi

* Re: Ada on NT
@ 2001-11-22 14:25     ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 2001-11-22 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Siegfried Gonzi wrote:

 > Michal Nowak wrote:
 >
 > > I found it very useful and functional. What a joke? Tell us all,
 > > we will laugh with you if it is good enough.
 >
 > There are two possibilities:
 >
 > a) You can laugh, because you think I am a fool

I think nobody here will do this.

 > b) I do not laugh anymore after this installation-nightmare

So what are your actual problems ? Maybe you've got the wrong archive
(e.g. the source distrib).
I've downloaded from here ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.13p/winnt/ both,
the compiler and AdaGide a kind of IDE.
Both are EXE-files which automatically install, and everything runs
fine.

 > I would really like to start programming in Ada ( at home I have
installed Ada83 for
 > the Macintosh and what I have seen thus far has been not too bad at
all; it seems Ada
 > is well suited for numerical analysis; as an academic user I use
programming only for
 > that sort of tasks).
 >
 > But it seems that the Windows version (no, I plan not to start to
install Linux/BSD; I
 > do not have enough time to foster these user-unfriendly systems)
impedes my plan:

 > Question 1: After downloading the Gnat-compiler and unzipping it I
have installed it
 > (administrator rights have been required).

For download and install see above.

 > Question 2: I want to make the hello-world example

Run AdaGide, type in the "with Text_IO; ...", press "F2" for compile
"F3" for build, "F4" for execute.

 > Question 3: It seems before question 2 can be performed I have to
build Ada for NT,
 > okay:

Then maybe you've got the source distribution, not the binary (see link
above).

 > Question 4: (an citation from the Win32 binding section):
 >
 > -Open a DOS command window.
 > -Run the SETPATH.BAT command from the directory where GNAT is
installed.
 > - \win32ada\setpath (first edit \win32ada\setpath.bat if you are
using gnat 3.08)
 > - cd \win32ada\src
 > - copy gnat\*.*
 > -gnatmake withall (ignore error messages at link time)  (Optionally)

I've written a lot of Windows code, even GUIs. There is no need to run a
DOS command window at all.

 > My windows experience is dated back to 1995 and I am not sure what
setpath.bat is, but
 > this script is not available (with the Gnat distribution).

Forget it, you really don't need it.

* Re: Ada on NT
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-11-22 14:31 ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 2001-11-22 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Siegfried Gonzi wrote:

> I have downloaded (because it is not possible to find a Gnat-Ada for
> SunOS 8)

Have a look here maybe there is what you're looking for:
ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.13p/

* Re: Ada on NT
@ 2001-11-22 15:15     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-11-22 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 14:52:21 +0100, Siegfried Gonzi wrote:

> b) I do not laugh anymore after this installation-nightmare

It is very odd indeed that you describe it as a nightmare. I have never
had problems with installing Gnat and it is very easy.

> But it seems that the Windows version (no, I plan not to start to
> install Linux/BSD; I do not have enough time to foster these
> user-unfriendly systems) impedes my plan:

Well they are more userfriendly than Sun OS.

> Question 2: I want to make the hello-world example

Yes. Did you:

1. Install AdaGide
2. Read the GNAT User Guide? In the beginning there is a hello world example.

To give you a very quick start:

write this (below) in a file called: helloworld.adb

-----------------------------
with Text_IO; use Text_IO;

procedure Helloworld is
begin
   Put_Line ("Hello World!");
end Helloworld;
-----------------------------

then simply run: gnatmake helloworld
now you can run the helloworld program.

> Question 3: It seems before question 2 can be performed I have to
> build Ada for NT,

No

And please, as a beginner be more humble, perhaps it is your ignorance
and not the rest of the world that is the problem!

Preben
--

@ 2001-11-22 15:29     ` Michal Nowak
From: Michal Nowak @ 2001-11-22 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01-11-22 at 14:52 Siegfried Gonzi wrote:
>There are two possibilities:
>
>a) You can laugh, because you think I am a fool

Oh, I do _not_ take you as a fool!

>b) I do not laugh anymore after this installation-nightmare

OK, I understand you, I also have many battles with installing and
running Java under Linux. I think I felt just like you. But don't
be so angry at once. Sometimes a little question can help.

>it seems Ada
>is well suited for numerical analysis;

And for many other purposes...

>Question 1: After downloading the Gnat-compiler and unzipping it
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^
Here may be the problem. I do not know what is the zipped file you
get, but on ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.13p/winnt/ is a file
named: gnat-3.13p-nt.exe (executable)
size: 23 500 591 bytes.
Try with this one.

After installation restart of the system may be needed ( I do not
remember, I have it under Windows 98)

>Question 2: I want to make the hello-world example

Make a file Hello.adb

You know what the code should be :-)

In the simplest case (with no IDE), go to directory, where the file is
located and type: gnatmake hello.adb

>Question 3: It seems before question 2 can be performed I have to build
>Ada for NT,
>okay:

See point 1.

>Question 4: (an citation from the Win32 binding section):
>
>-Open a DOS command window.
>-Run the SETPATH.BAT command from the directory where GNAT is installed.
>- \win32ada\setpath (first edit \win32ada\setpath.bat if you are using
>gnat 3.08)

I do not have this batch file also, but it says "if you are using
gnat 3.08". What version of GNAT did you get? Get 3.13p (see point 1).

Good luck,
Mike
                             ____|
                             \%/ |~~\

@ 2001-11-23 10:48       ` Siegfried Gonzi
From: Siegfried Gonzi @ 2001-11-23 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alfred Hilscher wrote:

> So what are your actual problems ? Maybe you've got the wrong archive
> (e.g. the source distrib).
> I've downloaded from here ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.13p/winnt/ both,
> the compiler and AdaGide a kind of IDE.
> Both are EXE-files which automatically install, and everything runs
> fine.

Thank you very much; it works now. A first look revealed that the IDE looks
comfortably.

S. Gonzi