* Re: Make_Array (was: Ada communicating with other programs)
       [not found] <mailman.1006445683.23571.comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org>
@ 2001-11-23  8:37 ` Siegfried Gonzi
From: Siegfried Gonzi @ 2001-11-23  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

"M. A. Alves" wrote:

> Siegfried, here is the "tutorial" as I promised.
>
> Preben, note the thing is 100-lines long even without using Spitbol...
> nor Regex ;-)
>
> Anyone, remember to notify me if you start using Unbounded_Arrays a lot.
> Thanks.

Thank you very much, I will have a closer look at it. It seems that the Ada
version is not any longer as an equivalent Clean version, because you also has
got included generic-types. My Clean version only deals with double-precision
floating point types. There are a few problems which makes Clean often not
very useable:

a) You cannot print variables as an intermediate result (functional
programming: one starting point and only one ending-point)
b) You only have two types of numbers at your disposal: integer (32bit) and
floating-points (64bit)
c) There is no possibility to  to round an number in Clean to any precision
(integer is integer and double is double) even when one writes to files. For
formatted output is this behaviour nearly unuseable (okay, I have a
second-hand library written in Clean for formatted output but it is not as
perfect as one would expect with a native solution).

As I have seen it with Ada83 (on the Mac) there is a nice feature where you
can define a type which maps the precision to a specific grid-resolution. That
is exactly what I currently implement in Clean for a 2 dimensional
Kriging-interpolation with Aerosol-datas.

Regards,
S. Gonzi

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-11-23  8:37 UTC | newest]