From: Mark Johnson <Mark_H_Johnson@Raytheon.com>
Subject: Re: Running Ada programs under Condor?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:12:03 -0600
Date: 2001-11-14T08:12:03-06:00	[thread overview]

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> In article <iphI7.23607$xS6.37669@www.newsranger.com>, "Ted Dennison"
> [snip]
> > I'm guessing this: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/description.html
> >
> > ..but its just a guess.
>
> And a correct one it is.  By policy, the only way I can harvest cycles
> for long-running jobs on the CS department's largish collection of
> machines is to run them under Condor, [snip]

Just curious, but how much Ada code are we talking about? I can rebuild
applications with over a million lines of Ada code in a couple hours using
the PC at my desk (about $1200). Most fixes get rebuilt in a few minutes.
With that kind of performance, I would be surprised you need to spend the
effort to checkpoint the compiler.

For an alternative - could you simply build a script that does each step of
the build (e.g., run gnatmake -n, compiling the file it indicates, and then
check if you need to move to another machine in a loop) using the Condor
framework? If each module is not "too big", this would basically give you
the same effect.
  --Mark