From: Jeffrey Carter <jeffrey.carter@boeing.com>
Subject: Re: looking for a fast  re-usable non-pointer data structure ....
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 17:37:30 GMT
Date: 2001-11-12T17:37:30+00:00	[thread overview]

Tony Gair wrote:

> Does anyone know of  reasonably fast data structure to store a large amount
> of records.

It would help if you provided more information about what precisely you
want. PragmARC.Queue_Bounded is fast, non-pointer, and a data structure,
but since you're using an AVL tree I doubt that it does what you want.

Balanced tree structures tend to be slow for insertion and deletion, but
fast [O(log N)] for searching. You might be interested in a skip list.
Skip lists are approximately O(log N) for searching, and O(1) for
insertion and deletion; I do not understand why people continue to use
balanced trees given the existence of skip lists. See
PragmARC.Skip_List_Unbounded for an implementation of a skip list.

It should be reasonably simple to implement a bounded skip list, just as
it is to implement a bounded list.

--
Jeffrey Carter