* Mine Detector Game
@ 2001-11-04 22:23 Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2001-11-04 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

PragmAda Software Engineering has released a game called Mine Detector.
Written entirely in Ada, it is released under the GNU Public License.
Win32 and Linux/x86 are available. Full source code is also available,
of course.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jrcarter010/mindet.html

Enjoy.

--
Jeffrey R. Carter

@ 2001-11-04 22:24 Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2001-11-04 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

PragmAda Software Engineering has released a game called Mine Detector.
Written entirely in Ada, it is released under the GNU Public License.
Win32 and Linux/x86 executables are available. Full source code is also
available, of course.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jrcarter010/mindet.html

Enjoy.

--
Jeffrey R. Carter
PragmAda Software Engineering

* Re: Mine Detector Game
@ 2001-11-04 23:54 ` Michal Nowak
From: Michal Nowak @ 2001-11-04 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Enjoy.

Thanks, I enjoyed it (maybe too long as for the first time :-)).
Especially, when I read, that it never requires guessing,
I started to play with engagement (some years ago when I was
in high school, there was many losses because the player had to
guess). But finally I came to this situation:
    _____________________
... | 2 | M |<3>| 1 | 0 |
    ---------------------
... | 3 | M |<6>| 3 | 1 |
    ---------------------
... | 3 | M | M | M | 1 |
    ---------------------
... | 2 | M | 4 | 3 | 2 |
    ---------------------
.....               | M |

... - not important
_____
-----
_____
-----
_____
|<3>| - covered cell
-----

Maybe it is too late and I am missing something, but it looks like,
I have to guess. Does this non-guessing feature means that I do not
have to guess on the beginning of the game (that there should always
be covered cell with <0> on the edge)? Right now the only idea of
alghoritm eliminating totally guessing has too high computational
complexity, but maybe it is possible to use some heurestics.

I found that, Auto Mark function sometimes marks incorrect fields.
I'm too sleepy now to analize when, I know only tha it happens.

Anyway, thanks for providing some nice relax.

Mike
                             ____|
                             \%/ |~~\
  O                                  |
 o>>        Mike Nowak               |
 T                                   |
/ >       vinnie@inetia.pl           |
http://www.geocities.com/vinnie14pl _|__

* Re: Mine Detector Game
@ 2001-11-05  6:01   ` Al Christians
From: Al Christians @ 2001-11-05  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal Nowak wrote:
> I found that, Auto Mark function sometimes marks incorrect fields.
> I'm too sleepy now to analize when, I know only tha it happens.

Looks like it automatically stepped on a mine and gave me a 'game over'.

Al

* Re: Mine Detector Game
@ 2001-11-05  6:02   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2001-11-05  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michal Nowak wrote:

> Thanks, I enjoyed it (maybe too long as for the first time :-)).
> Especially, when I read, that it never requires guessing,
> I started to play with engagement (some years ago when I was
> in high school, there was many losses because the player had to
> guess). But finally I came to this situation:
>     _____________________
> ... | 2 | M |<3>| 1 | 0 |
>     ---------------------
> ... | 3 | M |<6>| 3 | 1 |
>     ---------------------
> ... | 3 | M | M | M | 1 | <--- ***
>     ---------------------
> ... | 2 | M | 4 | 3 | 2 |
>     ---------------------
> .....               | M |
>
> ... - not important
> _____
> | M | - cell with marked mine
> -----
> _____
> | 2 | - opened cell
> -----
> _____
> |<3>| - covered cell
> -----
>
> Maybe it is too late and I am missing something, but it looks like,
> I have to guess. Does this non-guessing feature means that I do not
> have to guess on the beginning of the game (that there should always
> be covered cell with <0> on the edge)? Right now the only idea of
> alghoritm eliminating totally guessing has too high computational
> complexity, but maybe it is possible to use some heurestics.

Unmark the rightmost mine in the marked row. If that cell is <2>, the
mine is in <3>, otherwise the mine is in <6>. No guessing required.

> I found that, Auto Mark function sometimes marks incorrect fields.
> I'm too sleepy now to analize when, I know only tha it happens.

We have been playing with this program for several months and not
observed this. Please send a window image of such a situation to
jrcarter@acm.org if you encounter it again.

> Anyway, thanks for providing some nice relax.

You're welcome.

BTW, I don't know why the announcement posted twice, but I apologize for
it anyway.

--
Jeffrey R. Carter

@ 2001-11-05  8:42 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-11-05  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 22:24:13 GMT, Jeffrey Carter wrote:
> PragmAda Software Engineering has released a game called Mine Detector.
> Written entirely in Ada, it is released under the GNU Public License.
> Win32 and Linux/x86 executables are available. Full source code is also
> available, of course.

when I try to compile it I get:

gnatmake mine_detector.adb `gtkada-config`
gnatgcc -c -I/usr/include/gtkada -I/usr/lib/gtkada user_if.adb
field-operations.ads:22:57: too few discriminants given in constraint
gnatmake: "user_if.adb" compilation error

System: Linux 2.2.x, GNAT 3.13p

Preben Randhol
--
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent", Isaac Asimov

* Re: Mine Detector Game
@ 2001-11-05 11:46     ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-11-05 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Typically I have no use for computer games.

But that could change for one written in Ada.

Is there a pointer to this on http://www.adapower.com/ ?

* Re: Mine Detector Game
@ 2001-11-05 20:44       ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2001-11-05 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is a link on AdaPower to it on the Link page. I think I will need to
add a new section for full Ada applications.

David Botton

@ 2001-11-05 23:03         ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-11-05 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <tuduhced5p99f9@corp.supernews.com>, "David Botton" <David@Botton.com> writes:
> There is a link on AdaPower to it on the Link page. I think I will need to
> add a new section for full Ada applications.

Dividing it by problem domains would be good.

I mean as broad as "games" rather than narrow like "military games".

* Re: Mine Detector Game
@ 2001-11-06  2:09       ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2001-11-06  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> Typically I have no use for computer games.
>
> But that could change for one written in Ada.
>
> Is there a pointer to this on http://www.adapower.com/ ?

It appears there is now.

--
Jeff Carter
"My brain hurts!"

* Re: Mine Detector Game
@ 2001-11-06  2:18     ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2001-11-06  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Al Christians wrote:

> Looks like it automatically stepped on a mine and gave me a 'game over'.

That can happen, for example if you mark a cell that doesn't contain a
mine.

--

@ 2001-11-06 15:34 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 2001-11-06 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Carter wrote:

> PragmAda Software Engineering has released a game called Mine Detector.
> Written entirely in Ada, it is released under the GNU Public License.
> Win32 and Linux/x86 are available. Full source code is also available,
> of course.
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~jrcarter010/mindet.html
>
> Enjoy.

Great job.  This is just the kind of thing to help broaden
the appeal of Ada.

> Jeffrey R. Carter
> PragmAda Software Engineering

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@avercom.net   http://www.avercom.net
Chief Technology Officer, AverCom Corporation (A Titan Company)