From: Maciej Sobczak <maciej@maciejsobczak.com>
Subject: Newbie wanna Ada
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 22:52:37 +0200
Date: 2001-10-25T22:52:37+02:00	[thread overview]

Hi,

I'm not new to programming and I got some experience in a couple of
mainstream technologies.
Once upon a time I've read on a comp.lang.c++.moderated an interesting
post. The whole thread was about 'safeness' of C++ and Java (such
microwars arise quite often there) and few guys had enough courage to
plug few words about Ada.

So, I want to try my hands at it.

I've downloaded some tutorials, happily installed GNAT on my Linux and
warmed up my fingers... but before I start I got few newbie questions:

1. Is there a *usual* interface in Ada for socket-related operations?
2. Is there some more or less standard GUI lib? I've spot a Tcl/Tk
binding somewhere:
     a. How does it work?
     b. Is it efficient?
     c. Does it require Tcl runtime installed to run programs?
     d. What about Qt, for example?
3. What is the level of portability of the source code? C++ suffers from
the fact that many vendors dare to dump crap on the market with the C++
logo on the boxes. The result is that we have many different 'dialects'
of this (standardised) language. What about Ada? If I write something
for GNAT, can I assume that some imaginary Windows compiler will eat it?
4. What is the possibility of interfacing Ada with C (mainly - using C
libs from Ada)? Is this made during the linking or in the spirit of
Native Interfaces (like in Java)? For extremists - is it possible to
call back some Ada procedure from the C function (possibly running in
another thread)?
5. Is there a CORBA binding implemented for Ada?

Thanks for your time,

--
Maciej Sobczak
http://www.maciejsobczak.com