From: Larry Hazel <lhhazel@otelco.net>
Subject: Re: Genealogy Software
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:20:14 -0500
Date: 2001-10-23T09:20:14-05:00	[thread overview]

Wes Groleau wrote:

> Larry Hazel wrote:
> > Does anyone know of any genealogy software written in Ada?  With source
>
> I have entertained thoughts of writing one with
> some similarities to LifeLines.
>
> Having a data structure in memory loosely based on GEDCOM,
> and storing them as actual GEDCOM fragments.  This would
> make creating a GEDCOM file as simple as
>
>   cat header data/* trailer
>
> Some of the other implementation details are in my head.
>
> I haven't had the time to write anything down.
> Interested in collaboration?

I should make it clear.  My wife is the genealogy nut, not me.  I have heard of
GEDCOM but don't know anything about it.  Guess I need to try to find a
specification somewhere.  She started with PAF about 15 years ago when it was
just about the only thing available.  She didn't like it much and moved to Roots
III, then Roots IV, then Ultimate Family Tree when it took over Roots.  Now, the
company selling UFT is bankrupt with no more upgrades or support available.  It
also appears to be based on FoxPro for Windows which is obsolete and may quit
working on newer versions of Windows.  Thus my interest in having something that
I can provide support and enhancements for.

She has tried Family Tree Maker and doesn't much like it.  I think there is one
other called "Generations" of or something similar that she hasn't tried.

As I think more about the complexity of the task, I think it would would become
a full time job with no end in site.

Larry