From: Volkert Barr <barr@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Subject: Re: Tasking diagram for SW Architecture document
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:56:08 +0200
Date: 2001-10-15T15:56:13+00:00	[thread overview]

Mark wrote:

> I'm soliciting opinions (hopefully with some practical experience
> behind them) on the notational presentation of a concurrency/tasking
> diagram which would be used in a software architecture document for
> real-time systems. It should be able to represent both OO and non-OO
> (modular, Ada-based, etc) designs.
>
> I've noticed that a variant of the UML collaboration diagram seems to
> be popular in current publications. Although the folks at Artisan feel
> that a DARTS type diagram is more expressive. We have already decided
> to use UML static structure diagrams (OMG calls them "class diagrams")
> showing UML packages for the logical view and deployment diagrams for
> the deployment view.
>
> I am particularly not concerned about CASE tool support for this
> diagram since it will NOT be used for any code generation etc. Visio
> or similar drawing tools would be fine for this. It is an
> informational diagram for engineers.
>
>   thanks
>
>     Mark
Look at www.artisansw.com. The Artisan Real Time Studio uses an
UML Subset with a few add ons for modelling realtime systems
(Interfacing Hardware, Concurrency Diagrams, ...) and code generation
for C, C++, Java and Ada.

Volkert

 Volkert Barr      Institut fuer Softwaretechnik und
                             Theoretische Informatik
             Fachgruppe Softwaretechnik *  TU Berlin

 email: barr@cs.tu-berlin.de
 web: www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~barr