From: Wes Groleau <wwgrol@sparc01.ftw.rsc.raytheon.com>
Subject: Re: Gratuitous bashing ?
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:52:48 -0500
Date: 2001-10-10T15:52:48-05:00	[thread overview]

Marin David Condic wrote:
> I don't know that Java was invented *specifically* for STBs - I rather
> recall it being something developed because they thought web apps would be
> multi-platform....

According to a Sun marketing video, a group was assigned
to develop a set top box or something.  This part of the
video was very unclear.  I had the impression that it was
something like WebTV.

Anyway, they were working in C, and kept having problems
traced to certain kinds of mistakes.  So they invented
a language in which you could not make those kinds of mistakes.

Joy or Gosling (I forgot which, they were both in the video)
held up a book on C with lots of stuff lined out and said
something like, "Basically, we just went through here and
deleted everything that was causing us problems."

Then somebody else saw it and thought, "Hey, we could sell this!"

Really.  I saw it.  It really was like that.  Honest.

OK, my bias may have colored my report a little--but not much!

--
Wes Groleau
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau