* "Ada as a second language" question
@ 2001-09-26 22:47 Darren New
From: Darren New @ 2001-09-26 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you have this book and a few minutes, can you turn to page 879?

Therein you find a Load_Manager. The said Load_Manager demonstrates the
proper way to requeue an entry.

Unfortunately, it looks like if someone calls Set_Load while nothing
else is queued, and in particular while there's nothing queued on
Wait_To_Retry, then the whole system will block. Nothing's queued on the
private entry that opens the only public entry.

Am I missing something? Or is this an error in that code? Particularly
since a paragraph or two later the author says "As the example
illustrates, the 'Count attribute can be used in a barrier", except he
doesn't.

TIA!

--
Darren New
                   Who is this Dr. Ibid anyway,

* Re: "Ada as a second language" question
@ 2001-09-27  3:30 ` James Rogers
From: James Rogers @ 2001-09-27  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Darren New wrote:

> If you have this book and a few minutes, can you turn to page 879?
>
> Therein you find a Load_Manager. The said Load_Manager demonstrates the
> proper way to requeue an entry.
>
> Unfortunately, it looks like if someone calls Set_Load while nothing
> else is queued, and in particular while there's nothing queued on
> Wait_To_Retry, then the whole system will block. Nothing's queued on the
> private entry that opens the only public entry.
>
> Am I missing something? Or is this an error in that code? Particularly
> since a paragraph or two later the author says "As the example
> illustrates, the 'Count attribute can be used in a barrier", except he
> doesn't.

You are correct. There is an error in that code. The error can be
fixed by changing Set_Load to an entry, using 'Count attribute for
the barrier condition.

Jim Rogers
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA

* Re: "Ada as a second language" question
@ 2001-09-27  5:39 ` J. David Bryan
From: J. David Bryan @ 2001-09-27  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:47:49 GMT in article <3BB25B0A.1FEFFF71@san.rr.com>,
Darren New wrote...

>Am I missing something? Or is this an error in that code?

See:

  http://www.research.ibm.com/people/n/ncohen/a3sl_errata.html

--
                                        -- Dave Bryan

NOTE: Due to unrelenting SPAM, I regret that I have been forced to post with
an encoded address.  Please ROT13 this message to obtain the reply address.
Address also available at http://www.bcpl.net/~dbryan/mailto.html

Cyrnfr ercyl gb guvf nqqerff:  wqoelna@npz.bet

* Re: "Ada as a second language" question
@ 2001-09-27 17:04   ` Darren New
From: Darren New @ 2001-09-27 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   http://www.research.ibm.com/people/n/ncohen/a3sl_errata.html

Ah! Thank you! I thought it was me... :-)

 -- Still Learning.

--
Darren New
                   Who is this Dr. Ibid anyway,