* ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
@ 2001-09-22 23:00 John English
From: John English @ 2001-09-22 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Since my book "Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming" is
now out of print following Prentice Hall being swallowed up by the
all-enveloping Pearson group, I have reacquired the copyright and
released it online at http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/
in HTML format. It can also be downloaded for offline use.

I've fixed the errata from the print edition (I think) but there
will no doubt be others that I've missed (or added). Please let
me know if you spot anything that needs fixing...

Enjoy!

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.comp.it.bton.ac.uk/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
@ 2001-09-23  7:22 ` Simon Wright
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Simon Wright @ 2001-09-23  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

John English <je@brighton.ac.uk> writes:

> Since my book "Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming" is
> now out of print following Prentice Hall being swallowed up by the
> all-enveloping Pearson group, I have reacquired the copyright and
> released it online at http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/ in
> HTML format. It can also be downloaded for offline use.

Thank you. Yours is the book I tell people I would recommend if only
they could get it ..

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
@ 2001-09-23 11:19 ` Michal Nowak
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Michal Nowak @ 2001-09-23 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Since my book "Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming" is
>now out of print following Prentice Hall being swallowed up by the
>all-enveloping Pearson group, I have reacquired the copyright and
>released it online at http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/
>in HTML format. It can also be downloaded for offline use.

Thank you very much. I find it quite helpful and useful. It is very
nice there is a possibility of dowloading whole zipped book.
Thank you again,

Mike

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
@ 2001-09-23 11:42 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2001-09-23 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Hi John,

So good to see your book on line.

I know this is a very small "nit, " but I noticed that
on the Contents page in one place you say
"(originally published by Prentice Hall, 1997)", and three lines later you say
"This book, originally published by Prentice Hall in 1996,..."

Best regards,

David Hoos

Since my book "Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming" is
now out of print following Prentice Hall being swallowed up by the
all-enveloping Pearson group, I have reacquired the copyright and
released it online at http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/
in HTML format. It can also be downloaded for offline use.

I've fixed the errata from the print edition (I think) but there
will no doubt be others that I've missed (or added). Please let
me know if you spot anything that needs fixing...

Enjoy!

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-09-23 14:43 ` Preben Randhol
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-09-23 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 00:00:21 +0100, John English wrote:
> Since my book "Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming" is
> now out of print following Prentice Hall being swallowed up by the
> all-enveloping Pearson group, I have reacquired the copyright and
> released it online at http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/
> in HTML format. It can also be downloaded for offline use.

Excellent! Thank you very much! Now one have the whole package (online)
to get to learn Ada. All from compiler to reference manuals rational and
book on Ada :-)

Preben Randhol

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-09-25  7:40 ` Mats Karlssohn
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mats Karlssohn @ 2001-09-25  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

John English wrote:

> Since my book "Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming" is
> now out of print following Prentice Hall being swallowed up by the
> all-enveloping Pearson group, I have reacquired the copyright and
> released it online at http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/
> in HTML format. It can also be downloaded for offline use.

Ah... a very nice effort! Thank you!

A minor question: Are there any plans to distribute the book in a more
printing friendly format (.ps .dvi or .pdf) ?

--
Mats Karlssohn, developer                         mailto:mats@mida.se
Mida Systemutveckling AB                          http://www.mida.se

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
@ 2001-09-25 10:35   ` John English
From: John English @ 2001-09-25 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mats Karlssohn wrote:

> John English wrote:
> >
> > Since my book "Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming" is
> > now out of print following Prentice Hall being swallowed up by the
> > all-enveloping Pearson group, I have reacquired the copyright and
> > released it online at http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/
> > in HTML format. It can also be downloaded for offline use.
>
> Ah... a very nice effort! Thank you!
>
> A minor question: Are there any plans to distribute the book in a more
> printing friendly format (.ps .dvi or .pdf) ?

Not at present... but I'll think about it for when I have some time...

Regards,

@ 2001-09-25 10:44   ` John English
From: John English @ 2001-09-25 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David C. Hoos, Sr." wrote:
> I know this is a very small "nit, " but I noticed that
> on the Contents page in one place you say
> "(originally published by Prentice Hall, 1997)", and three lines later you say
> "This book, originally published by Prentice Hall in 1996,..."

Hmm... I suppose I ought to get my story straight... :-)

The book was in fact published in September 1996, but P-H said it
would be much nicer if it was listed as "copyright 1997". So you
pays yer money (or not, in this case :-) and you takes yer choice.

I've now changed it to say 1996 (and also fixed a load of HTML errors
in Appendix D, kindly pointed out to me by Jeffrey Cherry).

@ 2001-09-25 13:45     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-09-25 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

It would make a very nice part of a student/beginner/hobbyist "kit" - having
the HTML & possibly PDF available on a CD with a compiler, etc. Getting the
pieces assembled in one place and making it easy for the beginner to get
started with Ada would help a lot. This on-line book is an excelent addition
to all the pieces and one that has been, to some extent, missing.

What sort of licensing/copyright issues might you see with using the book as
part of a kit that would be made generally available?

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

@ 2001-09-25 14:16       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-09-25 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:45:24 -0400, Marin David Condic wrote:
> It would make a very nice part of a student/beginner/hobbyist "kit" - having
> the HTML & possibly PDF available on a CD with a compiler, etc. Getting the
> pieces assembled in one place and making it easy for the beginner to get
> started with Ada would help a lot. This on-line book is an excelent addition
> to all the pieces and one that has been, to some extent, missing.

Or simply an ISO image that can be put on the net for general downloading.

Preben Randhol

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-09-25 21:21 ` chris.danx
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: chris.danx @ 2001-09-25 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Since my book "Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming" is
> now out of print following Prentice Hall being swallowed up by the
> all-enveloping Pearson group, I have reacquired the copyright and
> released it online at http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/
> in HTML format. It can also be downloaded for offline use.

ooc: Will it be part of Burks in future?  That'd be great for our Uni.  We
used your book in some of our courses but now it's out of print they might
not recommend it, which would be a real shame.  Putting it on Burks along
with GNAT (which if memory serves is already part of Burks, but could be
wrong) would be grand.

Chris

[ot] p.s. do other uni's distribute burks or does it have to ordered it from
Brighton?  just curious.

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-09-26 11:28 ` Chris M. Moore
       [not found] ` <hdn1rtg56ifm2oibdt27im7l7fdlgrdegm@borpin.co.uk>
From: Chris M. Moore @ 2001-09-26 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I got this news on Slashdot (developers section).  Only six posts so
far though.  Thanks again.

Chris M. Moore

--
Chris M. Moore
Software engineer

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
@ 2001-09-26 12:58   ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-09-26 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Might be worth getting the announcement out on a few other newsgroups as
well. Its nice that we, the choir, know if its existence, but it would be
good to get news of its availability out to other related groups that might
have an interest. I'd suggest that the author ought to be the source, with a
nice advertising blurb about how you can now learn OOP in Ada95, etc. from
an on-line book. Or would it be better to come from someone else?
Suggestions for candidate newsgroups? Comp.Realtime springs to mind, but it
may be more relevant to other groups.

MDC
--

"Chris M. Moore" <chris.m.moore@amsjv.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I got this news on Slashdot (developers section).  Only six posts so
> far though.  Thanks again.
>
> Chris M. Moore
>
> --
> Chris M. Moore
> Software engineer
> speaking for myself

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-09-26 13:39 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
       [not found] ` <hdn1rtg56ifm2oibdt27im7l7fdlgrdegm@borpin.co.uk>
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2001-09-26 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

John:

> Since my book "Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming" is
> now out of print following Prentice Hall being swallowed up by the
> all-enveloping Pearson group, I have reacquired the copyright and
> released it online at http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/
> in HTML format. It can also be downloaded for offline use.

Thanks.

I have added it to the book list in the Danish book on
programming for Linux I am co-editing[1].

Jacob

1) http://cvs.sslug.dk/linuxbog/program/bog/
   (it is still under development)
--
"Dansk sprogn�vn er en flok spader!
 Cognac kan kun staves p� �n m�de"

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
@ 2001-09-26 15:46     ` Ehud Lamm
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-09-26 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org> wrote in
message news:9osjeh$9up$1@nh.pace.co.uk...
> Might be worth getting the announcement out on a few other newsgroups as
> well.

I mentioned this on Lambda, the programming languages weblog
(http://lambda.weblogs.com ) as soon as I saw it here.

Ehud

@ 2001-09-26 17:10   ` James Rogers
From: James Rogers @ 2001-09-26 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Orpin wrote:

> Excellent.  One point, I do like to know how big downloads are (the
> zips) before I actually start it.

The zip file is currently sitting in my laptop, which reports that
the size is 672K bytes.

Jim Rogers
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
@ 2001-09-26 21:02     ` Pascal Obry
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pascal Obry @ 2001-09-26 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org> writes:

> Might be worth getting the announcement out on a few other newsgroups as
> well. Its nice that we, the choir, know if its existence, but it would be
> good to get news of its availability out to other related groups that might
> have an interest. I'd suggest that the author ought to be the source, with a
> nice advertising blurb about how you can now learn OOP in Ada95, etc. from
> an on-line book. Or would it be better to come from someone else?
> Suggestions for candidate newsgroups? Comp.Realtime springs to mind, but it
> may be more relevant to other groups.

what about fr.comp.lang.ada ?

Pascal.

--|

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
@ 2001-09-26 21:29     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-09-26 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:58:55 -0400, Marin David Condic wrote:
> Suggestions for candidate newsgroups? Comp.Realtime springs to mind, but it
> may be more relevant to other groups.

comp.os.linux.announce
comp.os.ms-windows.announce
comp.unix.programmer

also:

www.freshmeat.net
www.linuxtoday.com

Preben Randhol

@ 2001-09-28  5:11     ` Dave Parsons
From: Dave Parsons @ 2001-09-28  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:58:55, "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org> wrote:

> Suggestions for candidate newsgroups? Comp.Realtime springs to mind, but it
> may be more relevant to other groups.
>
> MDC

comp.os.os2.programmer.misc

--
Dave

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
@ 2001-09-28 13:31       ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-09-28 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I made a post to comp.realtime. Let me suggest this: If you have an idea
that some newsgroups might be interested in an on-line book about Ada,
perhaps cut John English's original post and paste it into a note of your
own and post that to the newsgroups you think would be interested. It might
be helpful to cross-post it to C.L.A. in case there are any respondents,
we'll be aware of them. It would probably be a good idea to include
references to AdaPower and the site for the Gnat compiler so if anyone has
enough follow-up interest, they know where to go to find more info, etc.

Here is what I posted to comp.realtime. It might serve as the basis for a
post of your own:

For those who do realtime systems and use Ada (or are interested in
exploring Ada for their apps) there is a book recently put on-line. John
English recently made this text available and its an excellent way to get
familiar with Ada at no expense.

Freely available textbook at: http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/

Freely available compiler at: ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/

Lots of additional resources at: http://www.adapower.org/

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer
Enabling the digital revolution
e-Mail:    marin.condic@pacemicro.com
Web:      http://www.mcondic.com/

From John English:

@ 2001-09-28 16:53       ` John English
From: John English @ 2001-09-28 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:

> It would make a very nice part of a student/beginner/hobbyist "kit" - having
> the HTML & possibly PDF available on a CD with a compiler, etc. Getting the
> pieces assembled in one place and making it easy for the beginner to get
> started with Ada would help a lot. This on-line book is an excelent addition
> to all the pieces and one that has been, to some extent, missing.

See my .sig for a link to the BURKS set of CDs. This set is priced
at �7.50 for 4 CDs (a DVD edition will also be available shortly),
and it includes my book and Mike Smith's book, the RM and Rationale,
the old FAQs and Lovelace, as well as GNAT, GNATCOM, my GnatIDE,
AdaGIDE, GVD, JEWL, GTk, TASH, ...

The whole lot is also online -- the Ada page is here:
  http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/language/ada/

It also includes tutorials, reference material and compilers for about
20 other languages, a dictionary of computing, a complete set of RFCs,
many of the W3C specifications, lots more tutorial and reference material,
and a copy of Mandrake Linux.

Would this do, do you think? :-)

@ 2001-09-28 16:57   ` John English
From: John English @ 2001-09-28 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.danx" wrote:

> "John English" <je@brighton.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > Since my book "Ada 95: The Craft of Object-Oriented Programming" is
> > now out of print following Prentice Hall being swallowed up by the
> > all-enveloping Pearson group, I have reacquired the copyright and
> > released it online at http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je/adacraft/
> > in HTML format. It can also be downloaded for offline use.
>
> ooc: Will it be part of Burks in future?  That'd be great for our Uni.  We
> used your book in some of our courses but now it's out of print they might
> not recommend it, which would be a real shame.  Putting it on Burks along
> with GNAT (which if memory serves is already part of Burks, but could be
> wrong) would be grand.

It is indeed on this year's edition of BURKS (BURKS 6), as is Mike Smith's
book (which is also out of print now). See the BURKS website (URL below).

> [ot] p.s. do other uni's distribute burks or does it have to ordered it from
> Brighton?  just curious.

Most UK unis buy in bulk and redistribute, usually through the computer
centre or local bookshop. Many European and American institutions also
do the same; last year we distributed about 15,000 copies worldwide.

@ 2001-09-28 17:00     ` John English
From: John English @ 2001-09-28 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:

> Might be worth getting the announcement out on a few other newsgroups as
> well. Its nice that we, the choir, know if its existence, but it would be
> good to get news of its availability out to other related groups that might
> have an interest. I'd suggest that the author ought to be the source, with a
> nice advertising blurb about how you can now learn OOP in Ada95, etc. from
> an on-line book. Or would it be better to come from someone else?
> Suggestions for candidate newsgroups? Comp.Realtime springs to mind, but it
> may be more relevant to other groups.

Please, do it for me. Our new academic year starts on Monday, so I'm
going to be otherwise engaged, and it might be a while before I get
a chance to come up for air... :-(

(Watch out for anguished pleas from Brighton students in this group
soon... ;-)

@ 2001-09-28 17:40         ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-09-28 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sure goes a long way in the right direction! :-)

And just how many US $ is "�7.50"? (International sales have complications
of their own, don't they?)

MDC
--

@ 2001-09-28 17:46       ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-09-28 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I already posted your original announcement with commentary to
comp.realtime. I hope others will do the same to newsgroups they frequent
that might have an interest.

Be sure and point your students at the FAQ over at AdaPower. That, and be
sure to show them how to use 'Image and 'Value for I/O of numbers. (I
submitted a write-up to the AdaPower FAQ, but I guess David has too much
"real work" at the moment to get it up there. :-)

MDC
--

@ 2001-09-28 18:22         ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2001-09-28 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

John English <je@brighton.ac.uk> writes:

> See my .sig for a link to the BURKS set of CDs. This set is priced
> at �7.50 for 4 CDs (a DVD edition will also be available shortly),
> and it includes my book and Mike Smith's book, the RM and Rationale,
> the old FAQs and Lovelace, as well as GNAT, GNATCOM, my GnatIDE,
> AdaGIDE, GVD, JEWL, GTk, TASH, ...
> The whole lot is also online -- the Ada page is here:
>   http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/language/ada/
>
> It also includes tutorials, reference material and compilers for about
> 20 other languages, a dictionary of computing, a complete set of RFCs,
> many of the W3C specifications, lots more tutorial and reference material,
> and a copy of Mandrake Linux.
>
> Would this do, do you think? :-)

I'd love to see AWS part of the CD/DVD :)

Pascal.

--|

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
@ 2001-09-28 18:37           ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2001-09-28 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

US residents buy it from GWU for US dollars, as described in the
BURKS web pages.  I ordered early in the summer and my order was
held up waiting for the new version, which has now just arrived.
(In my case it was not crucial for this purpose, since I already
own the book.)

In article <9p2cmb$iui$1@nh.pace.co.uk>, "Marin David Condic" <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org> writes:
> Sure goes a long way in the right direction! :-)
>
> And just how many US $ is "�7.50"? (International sales have complications
> of their own, don't they?)
>
> MDC
> --
> Marin David Condic
> Senior Software Engineer
> Pace Micro Technology Americas    www.pacemicro.com
> Enabling the digital revolution
> e-Mail:    marin.condic@pacemicro.com
> Web:      http://www.mcondic.com/
>

> "John English" <je@brighton.ac.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> See my .sig for a link to the BURKS set of CDs. This set is priced
>> at �7.50 for 4 CDs (a DVD edition will also be available shortly),
>> and it includes my book and Mike Smith's book, the RM and Rationale,
>> the old FAQs and Lovelace, as well as GNAT, GNATCOM, my GnatIDE,
>> AdaGIDE, GVD, JEWL, GTk, TASH, ...
>>
>> The whole lot is also online -- the Ada page is here:
>>   http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/language/ada/
>>
>> It also includes tutorials, reference material and compilers for about
>> 20 other languages, a dictionary of computing, a complete set of RFCs,
>> many of the W3C specifications, lots more tutorial and reference material,
>> and a copy of Mandrake Linux.
>>
>> Would this do, do you think? :-)

The Boulder Pledge: "Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything
     offered to me as the result of an unsolicited email message. Nor will
     I forward chain letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings
     to large numbers of others. This is my contribution to the survival
     of the online community."

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
@ 2001-09-28 20:19       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-09-28 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 18:00:20 +0100, John English wrote:
> Marin David Condic wrote:

>> Suggestions for candidate newsgroups? Comp.Realtime springs to mind, but it
>> may be more relevant to other groups.
>
> Please, do it for me. Our new academic year starts on Monday, so I'm
> going to be otherwise engaged, and it might be a while before I get
> a chance to come up for air... :-(

I posted the announcement with a small comment to:

no.it.programmering.diverse (Norwegian group for programming in general)
comp.os.linux.announce

I'll se if I can send a tip to Linux Today (www.linuxtoday.com) too.

Preben Randhol

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
@ 2001-09-28 22:06     ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2001-09-28 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > ooc: Will it be part of Burks in future?  That'd be great for our Uni.
We
> > used your book in some of our courses but now it's out of print they
might
> > not recommend it, which would be a real shame.  Putting it on Burks
along
> > with GNAT (which if memory serves is already part of Burks, but could be
> > wrong) would be grand.
>
> It is indeed on this year's edition of BURKS (BURKS 6), as is Mike Smith's
> book (which is also out of print now).

Don't know that one, I'll take a peek at it.

> > [ot] p.s. do other uni's distribute burks or does it have to ordered it
from
> > Brighton?  just curious.
>
> Most UK unis buy in bulk and redistribute, usually through the computer
> centre or local bookshop.

Thanks, I'll get it when I go back next Thursday now I know it is distruted
from other unis (there are 3 uni's in roughly the same area, so chances are
at least one of them will stock it).

Thanks,
Chris

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
       [not found] <20010928202202.2E290A804A@ada.eu.org>
@ 2001-09-28 22:24 ` Ann S. Brandon
From: Ann S. Brandon @ 2001-09-28 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

> Marin David Condic wrote:
> >
> > Might be worth getting the announcement out on a few other newsgroups as
> > well.

--snip

> Please, do it for me.
--snip

>  John English
--snip

I'll gladly do this when I return from SIGAda, say the week after next.
If anyone can suggested newsgroups, please drop me a line. Otherwise
I'll use my imagination.

Ann Brandon
-33-

Onyons, Inc.
P.O. Box 294
Randolph Center, VT  05061
USA
(802) 728-9947
abrandon@sover.net

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
@ 2001-09-29 23:18           ` John English
From: John English @ 2001-09-29 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic wrote:

> Sure goes a long way in the right direction! :-)
>
> And just how many US $ is "�7.50"? (International sales have complications
> of their own, don't they?)

Mike Feldman (well, GWU) has been our US redistributor over the past
four years, and I believe is still willing to continue in this role,
but as yet we're still trying to work out what the position is on the
new edition (depends on shipping costs, volumes, exchange rate, and
so on). Hopefully all the commented-out bits from last year's ordering
info page will get revised and uncommented soon... :-)

For comparison: last year was �6.00 (for 3 CDs); the US price was $10.00.

@ 2001-09-29 23:21           ` John English
From: John English @ 2001-09-29 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry wrote:

> John English <je@brighton.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > See my .sig for a link to the BURKS set of CDs. This set is priced
> > at �7.50 for 4 CDs (a DVD edition will also be available shortly),
> > and it includes my book and Mike Smith's book, the RM and Rationale,
> > the old FAQs and Lovelace, as well as GNAT, GNATCOM, my GnatIDE,
> > AdaGIDE, GVD, JEWL, GTk, TASH, ...
> > The whole lot is also online -- the Ada page is here:
> >   http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/language/ada/
> >
> > It also includes tutorials, reference material and compilers for about
> > 20 other languages, a dictionary of computing, a complete set of RFCs,
> > many of the W3C specifications, lots more tutorial and reference material,
> > and a copy of Mandrake Linux.
> >
> > Would this do, do you think? :-)
>
> I'd love to see AWS part of the CD/DVD :)

Suggestions are always welcome... especially before the end of June,
which is when I start finalising the contents list.

Next year maybe?

@ 2001-09-29 23:22       ` John English
From: John English @ 2001-09-29 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.danx" wrote:
> Thanks, I'll get it when I go back next Thursday now I know it is distruted
> from other unis (there are 3 uni's in roughly the same area, so chances are
> at least one of them will stock it).

I heard that Glasgow were planning on ordering 400 copies... but I
don't know whether that's happened, or where they resell them.

@ 2001-09-30  2:00         ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2001-09-30  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Sorry, I am working on it. I have a draft of the new FAQ, I am hoping to get
back to it soon with your additions and some others. What little time I
could spare from work recently I put in to GWindows so that it could at
least make a 1.0 by end of year (the beta is of course up
http://www.adapower.com/gwindows), I'll get back to the FAQ soon along with
a number of other new features for AdaPower.

David Botton

@ 2001-09-30 13:04         ` Aidan Skinner
From: Aidan Skinner @ 2001-09-30 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001 00:22:48 +0100, John English <je@brighton.ac.uk> wrote
in <3BB657C8.231CB731@brighton.ac.uk>:

> > Thanks, I'll get it when I go back next Thursday now I know it is distruted
> > from other unis (there are 3 uni's in roughly the same area, so chances are
> > at least one of them will stock it).
>
>  I heard that Glasgow were planning on ordering 400 copies... but I
>  don't know whether that's happened, or where they resell them.

When i was a student there it was pretty much a compulsory purchase on the
undergrad CS courses. Distribution wise - you bought them off the dept at
cost through your lab tutour. That may have changed since i was there
though.

- Aidan
--
http://www.velvet.net/~aidan/           aidan@velvet.net
No Fear

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Online Ada textbook
@ 2001-10-01 13:31           ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-10-01 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

No need to apologise when you're providing a service as a courtesy. Its not
an entitlement. Just thought I'd observe how you've obviously been working
on other, more significant things, so if the FAQ is lagging, its
understandable why.

MDC
--

@ 2001-10-01 15:46             ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 2001-10-01 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic <dont.bother.mcondic.auntie.spam@[acm.org> wrote in
message news:9p9r6q$67n$1@nh.pace.co.uk...
> No need to apologise when you're providing a service as a courtesy. Its
not
> an entitlement. Just thought I'd observe how you've obviously been working
> on other, more significant things, so if the FAQ is lagging, its
> understandable why.
>
> "David Botton" <David@Botton.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry, I am working on it. I have a draft of the new FAQ, I am hoping to
> get
> > back to it soon with your additions and some others.

You can be sorry about something without apologising..
For example, *I* am sorry David's work on the FAQ is lagging.  I am also
sorry I don't have a time to help more with this.

Sorry is overloaded.

Ehud